Variation of liquid density with temperature

In summary, the individual is seeking information about the density of avgas 100LL at lower temperatures. They currently have the density at 15C as 725 kg/m^3 and are looking to determine it at lower temperatures. They believe the change in density may be small for temperature changes, but are unable to verify this. They have tried searching on Google, Wikipedia, and other sources without success. However, they have found a helpful link provided by another individual on a forum.
proinwv
I am looking for information on the density of a liquid at lower temperatures. I have it at 15C as 725 kg/m^3. The fluid is avgas 100LL.

I wish to determine it at lower temperatures. I believe that the change in liquid densitiess is rather small for temperature changes, but I can't verify this.

Any help is appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
There isn't a general physical law - it depends on the chemistry of the substance.
If avgas is a standard commercial substance (sort of aviation fuel?) then there wil be detailed tables for it.
Have you tried google?

Yes I have without any luck, in addition to wikipedia and other sources. I just found this forum and thought that I would give it a try.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/publications/tp14371/RAC/3-0.htm#3-5-2

nucleus, thanks for the link. This is what I needed. I appreciate the information.

1. How does temperature affect the density of liquids?

As the temperature of a liquid increases, its density decreases. This is because the particles in the liquid gain more energy and move further apart, resulting in a decrease in the number of particles per unit volume.

2. Is there a specific pattern or relationship between temperature and liquid density?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between temperature and liquid density. As the temperature increases, the density decreases at a consistent rate.

3. Why is it important to understand the variation of liquid density with temperature?

Understanding how temperature affects the density of liquids is crucial in many fields, such as chemistry, engineering, and meteorology. It allows us to accurately measure and predict the behavior of liquids in different environments.

4. Does the type of liquid affect how it responds to temperature changes?

Yes, different liquids have different temperature-density relationships. For example, water has a unique density-temperature relationship due to its maximum density at 4 degrees Celsius.

5. Can the density of a liquid at a specific temperature be calculated?

Yes, the density of a liquid at a specific temperature can be calculated using the liquid's coefficient of thermal expansion and its density at a known temperature. This calculation is based on the principle that the volume of a substance changes with temperature, affecting its density.