Temperature Rise due to Increase in Pressure (Liquid)

In summary, the liquid temperature will rise due to a pressure increase, however the increase is very small.
Skez
I need help finding the temperature rise of a liquid (specifically diesel) due to a pressure increase. The system contains a pump at 500 hp and runs at 524 gpm. The inlet temperature is 75 F and the pressure is 150 psi. The exit pressure is about 1155 psi. I have the specific gravity as 0.841. I've reduced my formula to -W=m(h1-h2) where W is the work of a pump, m is the mass flow rate, and h1 and h2 are the enthalpies. I've calculated the mass flow rate to be 3688 lb/min and the work as 21,204 Btu/min. Now, I'm stuck because I can't find the enthalpy for h1 to solve for h2. When I have h2, I was going to use that and the exit pressure to find the final temperature.

So, am I doing this correctly? And if so, how can I determine h1? I can't find any enthalpy/pressure/temperature tables for diesel.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
The specific heat of No. 2 Diesel is about 0.43 BTU/lb-F:

http://www.methanol.org/energy/resources/alternative-fuel/alt-fuel-properties.aspx

This should allow you to calculate a temperature rise due to the fuel absorbing the pump work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
OH! So, if the pump is working at maybe 70% efficiency, it's safe to assume that 30% of the horsepower isn't moving the fluid and is converted into heat? Then, I'd just take that number and find the temperature rise?

Thanks a lot by the way!

Pretty much.

Strictly speaking the fluid temperature will rise with pressure increase, even if no irreversible work is applied. But that increase is very small.

Likes 1 person
Well, I think I have an appropriate number. Thank you both so much!

Skez said:
OH! So, if the pump is working at maybe 70% efficiency, it's safe to assume that 30% of the horsepower isn't moving the fluid and is converted into heat? Then, I'd just take that number and find the temperature rise?

Thanks a lot by the way!
No. If the pump is working at 70% efficiency, then 70% of the supplied electrical power translates into enthalpy change. Since diesel fuel is nearly incompressible,

h2-h1=Cp(T2-T1)+V(P2-P1),

where V is the specific volume of the diesel fuel (the reciprocal of the density).

Chet

Likes 1 person
Oh, I see! Thanks a lot! Using your formula and a different method, I was able to come out with similar answers! I normally use tables so that formula helped me immensely!

1. How does pressure affect the temperature of a liquid?

When the pressure on a liquid increases, its molecules become more tightly packed together. This causes the molecules to collide more frequently, leading to an increase in kinetic energy and therefore an increase in temperature.

2. Can pressure cause a liquid to boil or freeze at a different temperature?

Yes, pressure can affect the boiling and freezing point of a liquid. An increase in pressure raises the boiling point and lowers the freezing point, while a decrease in pressure has the opposite effect.

3. Is there a specific relationship between pressure and temperature in liquids?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between pressure and temperature in liquids. As pressure increases, temperature also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the Gay-Lussac's Law.

4. Can pressure changes cause a liquid to change into a different state of matter?

Yes, pressure can cause a liquid to change into a solid or a gas. This process is known as phase transition and is commonly observed in substances like water, which can change from liquid to solid (ice) or gas (water vapor) depending on the pressure.

5. How does the type of liquid affect the temperature rise due to an increase in pressure?

The type of liquid does not significantly affect the temperature rise due to an increase in pressure. However, some liquids, such as water, have unique properties that can alter their response to changes in pressure and temperature. For example, water has a maximum density at a specific pressure and temperature, which can affect its behavior under different pressure conditions.