Why is my particular solution not matching with the book's answer?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the particular solution for t^2 y'' -t(t+2)y' = (t+2)y= 2t^3 with given initial conditions. One person has worked the problem and obtained a particular solution of -2t^2-2t, but the book states that it is simply -2t^2. They question where they made a mistake, but it is noted that adding a linear combination of homogeneous solutions can also give a valid particular solution. The solution is eventually found to be -2t^2 as stated in the book.
newtomath
Given t^2 y'' -t(t+2)y' = (t+2)y= 2t^3 and y1= t, y2= te^t
Find the particular solution-

I ve worked the problem to [ -2t^2 -2t] by:
-t * Integral [ 2t* te^t/ t^2e^t] + te^t * Integral [ 2t^2/ t^2e^t]

whereas the book states that it is simply -2t^2. Can you guys tell me where I made my mistake, I am stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
newtomath said:

Is that first = supposed to be +?

newtomath said:
Find the particular solution-

I ve worked the problem to [ -2t^2 -2t] by:
-t * Integral [ 2t* te^t/ t^2e^t] + te^t * Integral [ 2t^2/ t^2e^t]

whereas the book states that it is simply -2t^2. Can you guys tell me where I made my mistake, I am stumped.
To be honest, I don't completely understand this, but I'm not sure you've actually done anything wrong. You got the particular solution -2t^2-2t, and the book says -2t^2. But notice that one of the homogeneous solutions is t. If you add a linear combination of the homogeneous solutions to the particular solution, you get another equally valid particular solution. So, if -2t^2 -2t works, so does -2t^2 -2t + 2t = -2t^2.

Well a private solution here will be of the form:
At^3+Bt^2+Ct
where you can see quite immediately that A=0 (cause it has a term of t^4 which obviously gets nullified).

I did the calculation and got exactly as the book, try again.
PS
the C term doesn't get canceled though.

Last edited:

There could be a few reasons why your solution is not matching with the book's answer. First, it is possible that you made a mistake in your calculations. Double check your work and make sure you haven't made any errors.

Another possibility is that the book's solution is simplified or manipulated in a way that is not immediately obvious. It is important to understand the steps and methods used in solving the problem, rather than just focusing on the final answer.

It is also possible that there is more than one way to solve the problem, and both your solution and the book's solution are correct but just written differently.

Lastly, it is important to note that in mathematics and science, there can be more than one correct answer to a problem. As long as your solution follows the rules and principles of the subject, it can be considered a valid solution.

Overall, it is important to carefully review your work and try to understand the steps and methods used in solving the problem, rather than just focusing on the final answer. Don't be discouraged if your solution does not match with the book's answer, as long as you can justify your approach and it follows the rules and principles of the subject.

1. What is the variation of parameters method?

The variation of parameters method is a technique used in solving non-homogeneous linear differential equations. It involves finding a particular solution by assuming it has the same form as the non-homogeneous term and then solving for the coefficients using a system of equations.

2. When is the variation of parameters method used?

The variation of parameters method is used when solving non-homogeneous linear differential equations with variable coefficients. It is an alternative method to the method of undetermined coefficients, which is only applicable to equations with constant coefficients.

3. How does the variation of parameters method work?

The variation of parameters method works by assuming the particular solution has the same form as the non-homogeneous term, but with undetermined coefficients. These coefficients are then substituted into the original differential equation, resulting in a system of equations that can be solved to find the specific values of the coefficients.

4. What are the advantages of using the variation of parameters method?

One advantage of the variation of parameters method is that it can be used for a wider range of differential equations compared to the method of undetermined coefficients. It also allows for more complex non-homogeneous terms to be solved, as it does not restrict the form of the particular solution.

5. Are there any limitations to the variation of parameters method?

One limitation of the variation of parameters method is that it can be more tedious and time-consuming compared to the method of undetermined coefficients. It also requires some knowledge of linear algebra to solve the resulting system of equations. Additionally, it may not always result in a closed-form solution, which can make it more difficult to interpret the solution.