Where Can I Find the Best Resources for Learning Variational Methods?

• Calculus
  • Thread starter CMJ96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of variational methods and the resources available to learn about it. The speaker is looking for recommendations for textbooks or other materials to supplement their module leader's notes. Suggestions are given for textbooks covering relevant math topics, such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, as well as the classic book by Hilbert and Courant.
CMJ96
Hi guys I've recently started a module called variational methods, here is the module summary.
i2bn5Xl.png

Is there any resources you guys can recommend to help me learn all the relevant info for this module?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• i2bn5Xl.png
    i2bn5Xl.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 913
Physics news on Phys.org
Variational calculus is covered in most textbooks on mathematical methods in physics (including mine), but I suspect you are not after an entire textbook. Does your module not specify some literature or recommended reading?

No my module leader says he is uploading his own sets of notes for each section but I would like to have a second resource to see things explained in a different way.

It might help to see if you can find a resource that is usable for all modules. In particular if you are after a textbook. If you are just going module to module I would try to find lecture notes online.

Can you recommend any good textbooks that would help me with all the maths required for a physics degree?

That is quite a lot of maths and it is difficult to jam it all into one book. If you really start from the beginning, like introductory calculus, linear algebra, and ordinary differential equations, you could be looking at something like Riley, Hobson, Bence. If you are passed that level, I would (obviously biased) suggest my book or Arfken or Boas depending on your preference.

Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully they help out a lot!

The classic is, of course, Hilbert and Courant's famous book (volume 1).

Likes CMJ96

1. What is a "Variational Methods textbook"?

A "Variational Methods textbook" is a book that provides a comprehensive overview of variational methods, which are mathematical techniques used to find the best possible approximation to a function or solution to a problem. These methods are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to optimize systems and models.

2. Who is the target audience for a "Variational Methods textbook"?

The target audience for a "Variational Methods textbook" typically includes advanced undergraduate and graduate students in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other related fields. Professionals and researchers in these fields may also find the textbook useful as a reference.

3. What topics are typically covered in a "Variational Methods textbook"?

A "Variational Methods textbook" covers a range of topics, including variational calculus, Euler-Lagrange equations, constrained optimization, and applications to different areas such as mechanics and quantum mechanics. It may also include discussions on numerical methods and computer simulations.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying from a "Variational Methods textbook"?

Yes, some familiarity with calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra is usually required to fully understand the material in a "Variational Methods textbook". Some textbooks may also assume a basic knowledge of physics and mechanics.

5. Can a "Variational Methods textbook" be used for self-study?

Yes, a "Variational Methods textbook" can be used for self-study as it typically includes exercises and examples to help readers practice and apply the concepts. However, it may be helpful to have some background knowledge in the subject and to seek additional resources for clarification if needed.