Variations in the speed of sound in a star

Main Question or Discussion Point

I try to understand the following graphics with x-axis being the radius of a typical star :

oqCnR.png

I would like to knwo if ##\delta c/c## (y-axis) represents the relative error between theorical and experimental values or if it represents the fluctuations of speed of sound inside. If these are fluctuations, one could get the mean speed all over radii or standard deviation.

I am not sure what it is exactly.

Any help is welcome

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Can you give the source link? Even when using the Upload feature to attach a figure to your post, it is a good practice to post the source link. It also helps to avoid copyright issues. Thanks.

lecture is available on this link

Thanks in advance

Tom.G
Science Advisor
I would like to knwo if δc/c\delta c/c (y-axis) represents the relative error between theorical and experimental values...
That's it. As explained in the graph on the previous page of the presentation you linked.

So the main discrepancy in current models is in the zone 0.4 - 0.65 R/R0 : can anyone could explain what's the origin of this issue ?

at R = 0.4 - 0.65 R0, are we in radiative or convective zone ?

Regards

Could anyone help me on this current discrepancy ? or if someone had stellar physics knowledge ... thanks