Variations in the speed of sound in a star

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
fab13
Messages
300
Reaction score
7
I try to understand the following graphics with x-axis being the radius of a typical star :

oqCnR.png


I would like to knwo if ##\delta c/c## (y-axis) represents the relative error between theoretical and experimental values or if it represents the fluctuations of speed of sound inside. If these are fluctuations, one could get the mean speed all over radii or standard deviation.

I am not sure what it is exactly.

Any help is welcome
 
Attachments
  • oqCnR.png
    oqCnR.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,058
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Can you give the source link? Even when using the Upload feature to attach a figure to your post, it is a good practice to post the source link. It also helps to avoid copyright issues. Thanks.
 
fab13 said:
I would like to knwo if δc/c\delta c/c (y-axis) represents the relative error between theoretical and experimental values...
That's it. As explained in the graph on the previous page of the presentation you linked.
 
So the main discrepancy in current models is in the zone 0.4 - 0.65 R/R0 : can anyone could explain what's the origin of this issue ?

at R = 0.4 - 0.65 R0, are we in radiative or convective zone ?

Regards
 
Could anyone help me on this current discrepancy ? or if someone had stellar physics knowledge ... thanks