Mechanics: Work and Forces in Vertical Motion

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation involves finding the force needed to hold a mail bag suspended from a vertical rope, as well as the work done by the worker in moving the bag to this position. There is also a discussion about finding the work done by the normal force when a trolley is being pulled up a ramp and when a rope tied to a body is pulled. The conversation also includes questions about the angle and direction of forces, as well as the meaning of work done by the normal force.
Niles

Homework Statement

A mail bag with m = 120 kg is suspended by a vertical rope 8 m long.

1) I have to find the force needed to hold the bag in it's position.

2) I have to find out, how much work is done by the worker in moving the bag to this position.

-----

3) When a trolley is being pulled up a ramp 4 m, and the ramp inclines 30 degrees, find the work done by the normalforce.

-----

4) When a rope tied to a body is pulled, the body accelerates. But the body excerts an equal, opposite, force - is the total work done 0?

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I've found F = m*g*tan(a), where a is the angle between the vertical line and the string suspending the bag.

2) I thought of integrating m*g*tan(a) with limits 0 and 30 (degrees, cause 30 degrees is when x = 4 m) and multiplying by 4 m, since W = F*s. Please confirm.

3) I believe it's m*g*cos(30) * 4 m * cos(120) (120 degrees, because of 90 + 0).

4) I believe it is. But it's only an assumption.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1, You seem to have some extra info about an angle that we don't.
Can you include a picture?
2, We have to knwo where the bag started from.
3, Remember work = force * distance
4, If you were correct you would be able to pull heavy objects around all day with no effort!

1) It's placed 4 metres from the center. Sin(a) = 1/2, so a = 30. Same figure as http://www.math.duke.edu/education/ccp/materials/diffeq/pendulum/pendulum.gif - but not same numbers.

2) The bag starts from the pole, and is being moved 4 metres.

3) I'm confused about the angle. A = F*s*cos(a). But is a 30 degrees, 90 or 120?

4) Oh yeah.. my bad :-)

But perhaps you can answer another question. When I pull a rope attached to a rock, I am being affected by an equal, opposite, force. Why isn't the tension in the rope zero?

Last edited:
1, Depends on the direction of the force. The vertical component is F=mg the magnitude depends on the direction you are pulling in.
2, Just need absolute change in height * g - path doesn't matter
3, Is it the vertical componnet of the normal force * vertical distance + horizontal component * horizontal distance?

The opposing force is in the opposite direction and so adds to your force.

mgb_phys said:
1, Depends on the direction of the force. The vertical component is F=mg the magnitude depends on the direction you are pulling in.
3, Is it the vertical componnet of the normal force * vertical distance + horizontal component * horizontal distance?

The opposing force is in the opposite direction and so adds to your force.

1) He is pulling it from center to right. So the resultant_force is pointing to the center - and this is the force I've found.

2) So delta E_pot = W?

3) Hmm, let's do it another way. A box is placed on a ramp with an incline of 30 degrees (the angle is 30 with horizontal) and travels the distance 2 m on the ramp. How would you find the work of the normalforce?

Last edited:
Not sure what it means by the work done by the normal force!
Does it mean the work done against friction ( ie frcition*normal force * slope distance) or does it mean the vertical component of the normal force * height?
I've never seen this phrase before in a question.

mgb_phys said:
Not sure what it means by the work done by the normal force!
Does it mean the work done against friction ( ie frcition*normal force * slope distance) or does it mean the vertical component of the normal force * height?
I've never seen this phrase before in a question.

I don't know what it actually is - it's also the first time I've heard it. But what I can tell you is that it - apparently - equals zero everytime, because the angle is 90 degrees.

But regarding the second question:

Will the total work done, A_t, be delta E_pot? Or can I use my integration-trick?

Last edited:

FAQ: Mechanics: Work and Forces in Vertical Motion

1. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is the study of the motion of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics is the study of the behavior of particles on a microscopic level.

2. How does Newton's first law of motion relate to mechanics?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. This concept is a fundamental principle in mechanics.

3. Can mechanics be applied to other fields of science?

Yes, mechanics is a fundamental branch of physics and can be applied to various fields such as engineering, astronomy, and even biology. It helps to understand the motion and behavior of objects in different systems.

4. What is the role of calculus in mechanics?

Calculus is an essential tool in mechanics as it helps to mathematically describe and analyze the motion of objects. It is used to calculate derivatives and integrals, which are crucial in understanding the velocity, acceleration, and other properties of objects in motion.

5. What is the significance of conservation laws in mechanics?

Conservation laws, such as the conservation of energy and momentum, play a crucial role in mechanics as they help to understand and predict the behavior of objects in different systems. These laws state that certain properties of a system, such as energy or momentum, remain constant over time, and can be used to solve various problems in mechanics.