Varying Intensity of Gravitational Field and Equivalence

In summary, the equivalence principle holds if the gravitational field within the elevator is uniform. Otherwise, the difference in intensity of the gravitational field at different points within the elevator can be measured.
Charlie G
Hi all, I was just looking for some assistance in reconciling the equivalence principle and the varying intensity of the gravitational field. (I'm in high school so go easy on me, I'm just studying Einstein's Relativity for the general reader).

For convenience let's keep with Einstein's example of the man in an intergalactic elevator. When the elevator accelerates with respect to some inertial frame, the man and the other contents are given the same downward acceleration.

Now, for all practical purposes the man is, as Einstein noted, in a gravitational field. But the field of force the man finds is entirely uniform, imbuing objects with the same acceleration throughout the elevator. But in an elevator at rest on the Earth, one could, in principle, measure the differing intensity of the gravitational field at varying points inside the elevator; the intensity of the field being greater at the bottom than at the top for instance.

I understand that at those points, the equivalence principle holds, but because the man can do an experiment (or so I think) to distinguish a field of force produced by a nearby body of mass and a uniform force which occurs when accelerating with respect to inertial frames, how can the two be held as equivalent??

I suppose if we allow Mach's principle to be true, this difficulty disappears, but let's keep to GR for now.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equivalence principle is about the equivalence between a uniform gravitational field and an uniformlly accelerated frame, not between any field or any acceleration.

Last edited:
Charlie G, You're right, the elevator in the thought experiment is assumed to be so small that variations in the gravitational field within the elevator are negligible. Otherwise you can say that the equivalence between gravity and acceleration is just at a single point.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up guys; couldn't read ahead until I understood lol.

Related to Varying Intensity of Gravitational Field and Equivalence

1. What is the concept of varying intensity of gravitational field?

The varying intensity of gravitational field refers to the change in strength or magnitude of the gravitational force between two objects due to their varying distance or mass. This means that the further apart two objects are, the weaker their gravitational attraction will be, and the closer they are, the stronger their gravitational pull will be.

2. How does the varying intensity of gravitational field affect objects?

The varying intensity of gravitational field affects objects by causing them to experience different levels of gravitational force depending on their distance from another object. This can result in objects experiencing different rates of acceleration or being pulled towards each other with different forces.

3. What is the principle of equivalence in relation to gravitational fields?

The principle of equivalence states that the effects of a uniform gravitational field on an object are equivalent to the effects of an accelerated frame of reference on the same object. This means that in the absence of any other forces, objects will behave the same way in a gravitational field as they would in an accelerating reference frame.

4. Does the equivalence principle apply to all objects?

Yes, the equivalence principle applies to all objects, regardless of their mass or composition. This principle is a fundamental concept in the theory of general relativity and applies to all types of matter and energy in the universe.

5. How does the concept of equivalence help us understand gravity?

The concept of equivalence helps us understand gravity by showing us that gravity is not a force in the traditional sense, but rather a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects. This understanding has revolutionized our understanding of gravity and has allowed for the development of complex theories such as general relativity.