Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector addition of gravitaional , magnetic and elctrical field

1. Mar 15, 2014 #1
    can we consider gravitational field, magnetic field and electrical field as vector? can see the net result of this field.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2014 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

A bit of a puzzle here with this question.

What exactly do you mean by "field" in this question? I can put a net test source (be it a mass or a charge), and it feels a force from the field. This "force", as we all know, is a vector. So in that case, yes, you can consider the field as a vector based on the reaction of the test source.

But I can also describe them as a scalar field, i.e. the scalar potential field. Look for example, the electrostatic potential and the electrostatic E-field. One is a scalar, the other is a vector.

So what exactly are you asking for here? It is difficult to decipher when you have only one line and do not provide a more in-depth explanation.

Zz.

4. Mar 15, 2014 #3
    sir is the the gravitational field in equilibrium with electrical and magnetic field if we consider vector addition of all the possible field present at any point in universe?

5. Mar 15, 2014 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sure! That's what they did in the Millikan oil drop experiment.

Zz.

6. Mar 15, 2014 #5
    I don't agree with ZapperZ's answer. These fields cannot be added because they are incommensurable (They have different units). You can add the forces produced by the fields to each other though (That's what ZapperZ meant.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook