Proving Vector Addition on a Triangle

In summary: We were to find the slope and use that to find the height.In summary, the problem asks you to find the slope of a line that passes through the vertices O, A, B, and C. You use the information that the center point is 2/3 of the way down from a point, and 1/3 from the bottom, to find the coordinates of A, B, and C. You then use the information that the slope is i/j to find the heights of A, B, and C.
dtmcnamara
Hey guys. Long time lurker, first time poster.

My teacher gave us this little problem a while ago to work on kind of as a brain teaser. He wanted the proof. I have never been too good a proofs so I never did it. I was going through my notebook and decided to see if you guys could help me, or point me in the right direction.

Like I said, all we needed to do was provide the proof, thanks

untitled-1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Did you copy the problem correctly?

With vectors they often want you to prove a relationship like AB + AC = 2AD or something like that.

In that case, seeing as how “D” is the midpoint of BC, by parallelogram law you have:

[tex]\vec{AD} + \vec{DB} = \vec{AB}[/tex] ...(1)

[tex]\vec{AD} + \vec{DC} = \vec{AC}[/tex] ...(2)

Also [tex]\vec{BD} = \frac{1}{2} \vec{BC} = \vec{DC}[/tex] ...(3)

Adding (I) & (II) gives;

[tex]\vec{AC} + \vec{AB} = \vec{AD} + \vec{DB} + \vec{AD} + \vec{DC}[/tex] (by (3))

[tex]= 2 \vec{AD}[/tex] (as [tex]\vec{DB} + \vec{BD} = 0[/tex])

We are going over it tomorrow in class. Its just nice to actually know the answer before he goes over it so then you can truly understand everything.

Just in case its not clear the last part is a 0 ZERO not a O.

I think your going on the right track. He said its VERY simple once you see it. I have searched google and have found nothing yet.

I will post the answer tomorrow after class (9:45pm EST) if its not figured out.

THANKS

Ok so here we go. I got it finished today thanks to a little help from some friends in the math lab at my school.

What I needed to do was first find the height of the triangle.

I set the sides to a and then found the height using a^2+b^2=c^2

Then I used the known information that the center point is 2/3 of the way down from a point, and 1/3 from the bottom. Using this I could find the exact height of each section.

Then I needed to find the length from O to C which would also be the same length from O to B and O to A. I also use the a^2+b^2=c^2 to find this.

After that I put the origin at the center and figured out the coordinates for A, B and C.

Once that was done I made the OA, OB, OC vectors. Then I just merely added the i's and j's together and came out with 0i + 0j.

Hers is the work scanned into the computer.

calc3.jpg

FAQ: Proving Vector Addition on a Triangle

1. What is vector addition on a triangle?

Vector addition on a triangle is a mathematical operation used to calculate the resultant vector when two or more vectors are added together. It involves finding the magnitude and direction of the resulting vector by using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions.

2. Why is vector addition important in triangle problems?

Vector addition is important in triangle problems because it allows us to combine multiple vectors acting on an object and determine the net effect of those vectors. This is useful in physics and engineering, where multiple forces act on an object simultaneously and their combined effect needs to be calculated.

3. What are the steps for performing vector addition on a triangle?

The steps for performing vector addition on a triangle are:
1. Draw the triangle with the given vectors as sides
2. Use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant vector
3. Use trigonometric functions to find the direction of the resultant vector
4. Represent the resultant vector using magnitude and direction in a vector diagram

4. Can vector addition on a triangle be applied to non-right triangles?

Yes, vector addition on a triangle can be applied to non-right triangles. In non-right triangles, the sine and cosine functions are used to find the components of the vectors, and the resultant vector is calculated using the parallelogram law.

5. How is the direction of the resultant vector determined in vector addition on a triangle?

The direction of the resultant vector is determined using trigonometric functions, specifically the tangent function. The angle of the resultant vector is equal to the inverse tangent of the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side in the triangle.

Back