Vector Calc Easy Q: Solutions Here

• Thread starter calculusisrad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary: in summary, to find the horizontal and vertical components of a force, you can use the pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions. drawing the forces at weird angles is not necessary, they can be drawn horizontally and vertically.
calculusisrad
thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
calculusisrad said:
Find c such thy v=I+2j-k and w=-I +5j +ck are perpendicular.

Is this right?
V * w = 0 (dot product)
So set the dot product equal to 0 and solve to get c = 9 ?

Or is it more complicated?

Thanks
That's the way to do it !

Also, a force of 50 lbs is directed 50 deg above horizontal, pointing right. Determine horizontal and vertical components and display results in a figure.

I used the pythagorean theorem to get horizontal= 50cos50 and so on for vertical. But I don't get how to draw the forces, the book shows them at weird angles but I thought they would just be drawn horizontally and vertically?

Thanks!
This is also correct.

calculusisrad said:
Find c such thy v=I+2j-k and w=-I +5j +ck are perpendicular.

Is this right?
V * w = 0 (dot product)
So set the dot product equal to 0 and solve to get c = 9 ?

Or is it more complicated?

Thanks

nope, that's exactly what you do.

Also, a force of 50 lbs is directed 50 deg above horizontal, pointin right. Determine horizontal and vertical components and display results in a figure.

I used the pythagorean theorem to get horizontal= 50cos50 and so on for vertical. But I don't get how to draw the forces, the book shows them at weird angles but I thought they would just be drawn horizontally and vertically?

Thanks!

i agree with you. i can't speak for what the book has drawn.

What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vectors and vector fields. It involves the use of calculus to analyze vector quantities, such as velocity and acceleration, and their relationships with each other.

Why is vector calculus important?

Vector calculus is used in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics, to model and solve problems involving vector quantities. It provides a powerful tool for understanding and analyzing complex systems and phenomena in the natural world.

What are the basic operations in vector calculus?

The basic operations in vector calculus include vector addition, subtraction, multiplication by a scalar, dot product, and cross product. These operations are used to manipulate and analyze vector quantities and their relationships.

What is a vector field?

A vector field is a function that assigns a vector to each point in a given space. It is used to represent physical quantities, such as force and velocity, that vary in magnitude and direction throughout a region of space.

What are some real-world applications of vector calculus?

Some real-world applications of vector calculus include the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and motion in three-dimensional space. It is also used in computer graphics to model and animate complex shapes and movements.