Vector calc question - coordinate systems

In summary: Yes! F_x=F.i=( F_p(p,theta,z)e_p + F_theta (p,theta,z)e_theta + F_z (p,theta,z)e_z).i (the '.' means dot product)
jaejoon89

Homework Statement

How do you derive the divergence in cylindrical coordinates by transforming the expression for divergence in cartestian coordinates?

Homework Equations

F = F_x i + F_y j + F_z k
div F = ∂F_x/∂x + ∂F_y/∂y + ∂F_z/∂z (divergence in Cartesian coordinates)

I need to transform this into

divF = (1/rho)(∂(rho*F_rho)/∂rho) + (1/rho)(∂F_theta/∂theta) + ∂F_z/∂z (divergence in cylindrical coordinates)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the chain rule,
∂F_x/∂x = (∂F_x/∂rho)(∂rho/∂x) + (∂F_x/∂theta)(∂theta/∂x) + (∂F_x/∂z)(∂z/∂x)
Similarly for F_y and F_z

Then I rewrite the cartesian definition for divergence and obtain
divF = [(∂F_x/∂rho)costheta + (∂F_x/∂theta)(-sintheta/rho)] + [(∂F_y/∂rho)sintheta + (∂F_y/∂theta)(costheta/rho)] + ∂F_z/∂z

But how does that simplify to the expression in cylindrical coordinates?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stop creating multiple threads for the same problem.

As for your question; what are F_x,F_y and F_z in terms of F_rho, F_theta and F_z?

gabbagabbahey said:
As for your question; what are F_x,F_y and F_z in terms of F_rho, F_theta and F_z?

I don't know. I can't find the relation anywhere in my book. What is it?

You'll have to derive it...I'll give you a hint: [tex]F_x=\vec{F}\cdot\hat{i}[/tex]...

Thanks for the suggestion. But I'm not sure I follow.

I know

F = F_p(p,theta,z)e_p + F_theta (p,theta,z)e_theta + F_z (p,theta,z)e_z

where p = rho

So does F_x = F_p(p,theta,z)e_p ? But divergence is not a vector so the e_p shouldn't matter... so I'm still not sure how to derive the relation. Again, thanks the help.

jaejoon89 said:
Thanks for the suggestion. But I'm not sure I follow.

I know

F = F_p(p,theta,z)e_p + F_theta (p,theta,z)e_theta + F_z (p,theta,z)e_z

Right...

So does F_x = F_p(p,theta,z)e_p ?

No! F_x=F.i=( F_p(p,theta,z)e_p + F_theta (p,theta,z)e_theta + F_z (p,theta,z)e_z).i (the '.' means dot product)

Compute the dot product and then do the same for F_y and F_z

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is usually represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

What is a coordinate system?

A coordinate system is a system for representing points in a space using numbers or coordinates. It is usually composed of a set of axes, with each axis representing a different dimension.

What are the different types of coordinate systems?

The three most common types of coordinate systems are Cartesian, polar, and cylindrical. In Cartesian coordinates, points are represented using x, y, and z coordinates. In polar coordinates, points are represented using a distance from the origin and an angle. In cylindrical coordinates, points are represented using a distance from the origin, an angle, and a height.

How do I convert between different coordinate systems?

To convert between coordinate systems, you can use equations or formulas specific to each type of coordinate system. These equations may involve trigonometric functions or basic geometry principles. It is important to carefully follow the steps and keep track of units when converting between coordinate systems.

How are vector operations performed in different coordinate systems?

Vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and dot product, can be performed in any coordinate system. However, the equations used may differ depending on the type of coordinate system. It is important to use the correct equations for the specific coordinate system in order to get accurate results.