Vector calculus identities proof

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of divergence and its use in deriving expressions for divergence in various coordinate systems. The definition of divergence is the outward flux of a vector field per unit volume as the volume tends to zero, and it is a closed surface integral on some surface. The conversation also touches on the transformation of coordinates and how a vector equation remains valid in any coordinate system.
daudaudaudau
Hello.

How can I prove something like
[tex]
\nabla\cdot(\mathbf fv)=(\nabla v)\cdot\mathbf f+v(\nabla\cdot \mathbf f)
[/tex]

using only the definition of divergence
[tex]
\text{div}\mathbf V=\lim_{\Delta v\rightarrow0}\frac{\oint_S\mathbf V\cdot d\mathbf s}{\Delta v},
[/tex]
i.e. without referring to any particular coordinate system? I have yet to see a book that does not assume cartesian coordinates.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get that defition? I don't seee how it makes any sense if you don't say what roll "[itex]\Delta v[/itex]" plays in
[tex]\frac{\oint_S V\cdot ds}{\Delta v}[/tex]
and what is the contour S? Is it a circle around the point with radius [itex]\Delta v[/itex]?

Oh sorry, I thought it was a common definition. Here it is at http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Divergence.html" . Maybe it is more of a physicist's definition? But I know that you can use it to derive the expressions for the divergence in various coordinate systems.

In words, the divergence is the outward flux of a vector field per unit volume as the volume tends to zero. So it is a closed surface integral on some surface. I think this surface can have pretty much any shape. [itex]\Delta v[/itex] is the volume enclosed by the surface.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't use the definition I have shown, how does one then derive the expressions for [itex]\nabla[/itex] in various coordinate systems? To me it seems that the definition I have shown here is fundamental.

Let me try and ask in another way: When I see an expression such as
[tex]
\nabla\cdot(\mathbf fv)=(\nabla v)\cdot\mathbf f+v(\nabla\cdot \mathbf f)
[/tex]

which contains no reference to any particular coordinate system, how do I know when it is valid? Is it valid for any kind of weird non-orthogonal coordinate system?

?? If a vector equation is valid in one coordinate system, then it is valid in any coordinate system.

The transformation from one coordinate system to another is alway "homogenous". That, is the "0" vector in one coordinate system is the "0" vector in any coordinate system. If a vector equation says [itex]\vec{v}= \vec{u}[/itex] (where [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] can be very complicated formulas, but the result is a vector) then [itex]\vec{v}- \vec{u}= \vec{0}[/itex] in any coordinate system.

Ah okay, but do we not need to take into account that the [itex]\nabla[/itex]-operator changes when the coordinate system changes? It sounds like you are basically saying is that if we can prove an identity in one coordinate system, then it holds in all coordinate systems.

I guess you are right. The gradient is just a particular vector. And what the identity tells us is that one vector equals another vector. When we change coordinates, the gradient stays the same even though the gradient operator changes.

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with vector quantities, which have both magnitude and direction. It involves the study of functions of several variables using differentiation and integration of vector fields.

2. What are vector calculus identities?

Vector calculus identities are mathematical equations that relate different vector operations, such as dot product, cross product, and gradient. They are used to simplify and manipulate vector expressions in order to solve problems in physics and engineering.

3. Why is it important to prove vector calculus identities?

Proving vector calculus identities is important because it provides a theoretical foundation for using these identities in practical applications. It also helps to deepen our understanding of vector calculus and its applications.

4. What is the process for proving vector calculus identities?

The process for proving vector calculus identities involves using the basic definitions and properties of vector operations, along with algebraic manipulation and mathematical reasoning. It may also involve using known identities and theorems to derive new ones.

5. What are some common vector calculus identities?

Some common vector calculus identities include the gradient of a dot product, the curl of a cross product, and the divergence of a curl. These identities are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.