Vector calculus identity proof.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the identity of div(fG) in terms of f and G, where f is a scalar function and G is a vector field. The solution involves taking the dot product of f and G and using the definitions of divergence and gradient to simplify the expression.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Let f(x,y,z) be a function of three variables and G(x,y,z) be a vector field defined in 3D space. Prove the identity:

div(fG)= f*div(G)+G*grad(f)

Homework Equations

For F=Pi +Qj+Rk

div(F)=dF/dx + dQ/dy + dR/dz

grad(F)=dF/dx i + dQ/dy j + dR/dz k

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem starts with how do I find fG? Because I am thinking that f is a vector with i,j,k components and so is G. So fG should be the dot product of f and G, which gives a scalar, and one can't get the divergence of a scalar :confused: (Since this is an identity, I know somewhere I am missing some elementary fact)

Physics news on Phys.org
No, [itex]f(x,y,z)[/itex] is a scalar function, [itex]\textbf{G}(x,y,z)[/itex] is a vector field.

So, [tex]f\textbf{G}=f(x,y,z)G_x(x,y,z)\textbf{i}+f(x,y,z)G_y(x,y,z)\textbf{j}+f(x,y,z)G_z(x,y,z)\textbf{k}[/tex]

gabbagabbahey said:
No, [itex]f(x,y,z)[/itex] is a scalar function, [itex]\textbf{G}(x,y,z)[/itex] is a vector field.

So, [tex]f\textbf{G}=f(x,y,z)G_x(x,y,z)\textbf{i}+f(x,y,z)G_y(x,y,z)\textbf{j}+f(x,y,z)G_z(x,y,z)\textbf{k}[/tex]

:biggrin: I got it now!

1. How do you prove vector calculus identities?

To prove vector calculus identities, you can use mathematical techniques such as algebraic manipulation, differentiation, and integration. It is also important to understand the properties and rules of vector operations, such as the commutative and associative properties.

2. What are some common vector calculus identities?

Some common vector calculus identities include the dot product identity, cross product identity, and the gradient identity. These identities are used to simplify vector equations and solve problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. What is the purpose of proving vector calculus identities?

The purpose of proving vector calculus identities is to demonstrate the relationships between different vector operations and to provide a foundation for solving complex problems involving vectors. These identities also help to simplify vector equations and make them easier to work with.

4. How can I remember all the vector calculus identities?

The best way to remember vector calculus identities is to practice and apply them regularly. You can also create visual aids, such as diagrams or tables, to help you remember the different identities and their properties. Additionally, understanding the underlying concepts and principles can also aid in remembering the identities.

5. Can vector calculus identities be used in applications other than mathematics?

Yes, vector calculus identities have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and even economics. They are used to solve problems and make calculations involving quantities with both magnitude and direction, such as forces, velocities, and electric fields.