1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector calculus, surfaces, and planes.

1. Sep 20, 2014 #1
    I have attached an image... Okay, so I have been stuck on this problem for like 2 hours now and I have no idea how to find r(x). I know the trace is the intersection of the plane and the surface. My first attempt was to substitute the plane y+2x=0 equation for the surface equation by solving for y getting y=-2x. So I got 3x^2-(-2x)^2+2x+2(-2x) = z = f(x,y).
    So I got an equation which is only a function of x e.g f(x) = -x^2-2x. However, how do I go from this to a vector equation r(x) so I can differentiate to get the tangent vector equation.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could use the vector parameterization of the surface ##x = x, y = y, z = 3x^3 - y^2 +2x+2y## so for the surface$$
    \vec R(x,y) = \langle x,y,3x^3 - y^2 +2x+2y\rangle$$Now put ##y = -2x## in that and you will have a vector equation for the required curve.

[Edit] Fixed typo in parameterization ##x^2## should have been ##x^3##.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  4. Sep 20, 2014 #3
    okay, I haven't solved it yet using what you've told me, but why would that work? How would I know if using x and not x^2 or 4x would be the correct parametrization? Just seems arbitrary how your define the position vector of the surface. mhmmm....

5. Sep 20, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Parameterizations of surfaces need two variables. Since ##z## is given in terms of ##x## and ##y##, it is most natural to use them as the parameters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted