Vector division or inversion

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of finding the inverse of a vector and determining if such operations are defined for vectors. The person asking the question is looking for clarification and assistance in understanding this concept. They mention that they have not seen division, powers, or products defined for vectors, and the other person agrees that it is a complex topic.
jasper353
How do you get a vector to the power of negative one?

I.E. : V ^ (-1)?

Or inversion if that's what it's called?

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have never seen "division", or for that matter powers or products defined for vectors. Perhaps if you told us where you saw that and the situtation involved, we could say.

In edit: It has been pointed out to me that I forgot the "cross product" of vectors- but that is only defined for three dimensional vectors and still does not have multiplicative inverses defined.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that it is more involved than I was hoping.

I followed the thread, and the other person is,

or was, having the same difficulty as I am or were.

I would like to clarify that vector division and inversion are two different mathematical operations. Vector division involves dividing one vector by another, resulting in a new vector. On the other hand, vector inversion refers to the process of finding the inverse of a vector, which is a vector that, when multiplied by the original vector, results in the identity vector (a vector with all components equal to 1).

To get a vector to the power of negative one, you can use the concept of vector inversion. This means finding the inverse of the vector and raising it to the power of one, which is equivalent to taking the reciprocal of each component of the vector. For example, if we have a vector V = (2,4), the inverse of this vector is V^-1 = (1/2, 1/4). Therefore, V^(-1) = (1/2)^1, (1/4)^1 = (1/2, 1/4).

It is important to note that vector inversion is only defined for non-zero vectors. Additionally, vector inversion is a mathematical concept and may not have a physical meaning in certain scientific fields. It is always necessary to understand the context and application of vector operations in a scientific scenario.

1. What is vector division or inversion?

Vector division or inversion is a mathematical operation performed on two vectors to obtain a new vector that represents the ratio or inverse of the original vectors.

2. How is vector division or inversion different from scalar division?

Vector division or inversion involves dividing or inverting the entire vector, including its direction and magnitude, while scalar division only involves dividing the magnitude of a scalar quantity.

3. What are the applications of vector division or inversion?

Vector division or inversion is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate forces, velocities, and accelerations in vector quantities.

4. Can vector division or inversion be applied to vectors in any dimension?

Yes, vector division or inversion can be applied to vectors in any dimension, including two-dimensional and three-dimensional vectors.

5. Are there any special rules or properties when performing vector division or inversion?

Yes, when dividing or inverting vectors, the order of the vectors matters and the resulting vector will have the same dimension as the original vectors. Also, division by zero is undefined in vector division.