1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector field notation help

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1
    Just a quick question about notation.

I was given the vector field

F = r + grad(1/bar(r)) where r= (x)i+(y)j+(z)k.
    grad is just written as the upside down delta (gradient) and the bar I wrote in the above equation looks like an absolute value around just the r (although I don't know if it is absolute value). Basically I want to find the gradient of (1/bar(r)).

What would be a simplification of this vector field so that I can solve the rest of the problem?

I want to find its flux across the surface of a sphere.

I think F would be ((x^3)-1)/x^2+((y^3)-1)/y^2+((z^3-1)/z^2, but I'm not sure.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2007 #2
    [tex]|\vec{r}|[/tex] is the modulus, or magnitude, of vector [tex]\vec{r}[/tex].
  4. Feb 12, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If [itex]\vec{r}= x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}[/itex] then
    [tex]\frac{1}{||\vec{r}||}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+ z^2}}= (x^2+y^2+ z^2)^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]
    What is the gradient of that function?
  5. Feb 12, 2007 #4
    How can you take the gradient of the function if it doesn't have i, j, and k?

Is it 0?
  6. Feb 13, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A better question would be, how could you take the grad of the function if it *did* have i, j, and k? Remember, the gradient acts on a scalar.
  7. Feb 13, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, you would first have to know what "gradient" actually means!

Given a function f(x,y,z), how would YOU define
    [itex]\nabla f[/itex]?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?