Vector identity show that question

In summary: You think that "education" means being told the answers? Essentially, you are saying that you believe you are not capable of thinking. I am very sorry to hear that and hope it is not true. If it is true, then this forum cannot help you. I doubt that you will be able to find a forum that simply hands you the answers and, even if you can, that will not help you pass tests.
fleeceman10

Homework Statement

u and v are vectors

Homework Equations

show that : mod(u x v)^2 +(u.v)^2 = mod(u)^2 x mod(v)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought about let u =(a,b,c) let v = (x,y,z) and then doing the calculations. However I have done this but then squaring everything out at the end will take ages and I'm certain that's not how they want it done.

Physics news on Phys.org
fleeceman10 said:

Homework Statement

u and v are vectors

Homework Equations

show that : mod(u x v)^2 +(u.v)^2 = mod(u)^2 x mod(v)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought about let u =(a,b,c) let v = (x,y,z) and then doing the calculations. However I have done this but then squaring everything out at the end will take ages and I'm certain that's not how they want it done.

The cross product and the dot product are related to a sin and a cos of the angle between u and v.

thats very helpful (sarcasm). To make it clear, I want a solution

fleeceman10 said:
thats very helpful (sarcasm). To make it clear, I want a solution
Per the rules of this forum, we don't provide solutions.
Here's an excerpt from the rules (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380):
On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.

Also, please don't post the same problem in multiple sections.

Mark44 said:
Per the rules of this forum, we don't provide solutions.
Here's an excerpt from the rules (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380):
On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.

Also, please don't post the same problem in multiple sections.

look if people want to post solutions let them. Stop being such a spoil sport.

It's not about being a spoil sport - these are the rules. Moderators can and do enforce the rules by deleting any posts that provide complete solutions. It is NOT the purpose of this site to do your work for you.

Mark44 said:
It's not about being a spoil sport - these are the rules. Moderators can and do enforce the rules by deleting any posts that provide complete solutions. It is NOT the purpose of this site to do your work for you.

well maybe I will find a different forum. One where petty rules do not hamper the education of it's members. Know of any?

That's an excellent idea.

fleeceman10 said:
well maybe I will find a different forum. One where petty rules do not hamper the education of it's members. Know of any?
You think that "education" means being told the answers? Essentially, you are saying that you believe you are not capable of thinking. I am very sorry to hear that and hope it is not true. If it is true, then this forum cannot help you. I doubt that you will be able to find a forum that simply hands you the answers and, even if you can, that will not help you pass tests.

1. What is a vector identity?

A vector identity is an equation that relates different vector quantities. It is often used in vector calculus to simplify calculations and express relationships between vectors.

2. How do you prove a vector identity?

To prove a vector identity, you need to use basic vector operations and properties, such as addition, subtraction, and the dot product. You also need to follow the rules of vector algebra, such as the commutative and associative properties.

3. Can vector identities be applied to any type of vector?

Yes, vector identities can be applied to any type of vector, including 2D and 3D vectors, as well as complex vectors. However, some identities may be more useful in certain contexts than others.

4. Why are vector identities important in science?

Vector identities are important in science because they allow us to express complex relationships between vector quantities in a simple and concise way. They are also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

5. Are there any limitations to using vector identities?

While vector identities are powerful tools, they do have limitations. Some identities may only be applicable in certain situations or for specific types of vectors. It is important to understand the context and assumptions behind a vector identity before applying it.