Vector of differential solutions

In summary, you need to show that e_1 and e_2 are a basis for V if you want to solve the homework equation e_1x+e_2x=y. You need to show that they are independent and span the space. You can't just integrate y and get yx, you need to differentiate dy/x and find its value.
boneill3

Homework Statement

Hi Guy's

Let V be the set of functions [itex]f:R\rightarrowR[/itex]which solve the differential equation:

[itex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=y[/itex]

Show that [itex]e_1:R\rightarrow R, x \rightarrow e^x[/itex] and [itex]e_2:R\rightarrow R, x\rightarrow cosh(x)[/itex]
Comprise a basis for V.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have not done 2nd order differential equations and I was wondering if some one might give me a hint to a particular solution vector.

I know I need to prove that [itex] e^x [/itex] and [itex] cosh(x) [/itex] are linear independant to be a basis, but I need to show that any solution vector can be generated by them.

with the natural log we can't take the log of zero so when can the vector equal zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first of all, your [itex]e_1[/itex] and [itex]e_2[/itex] won't comprise a basis for the space of all functions- that's infinite dimensional. What you mean is that V is the set of all functions that satisfy that differential equation.

That means you need to show the properties of a basis:
1) They are independent. In this case that means that the only way you can have [itex]Ae^x+ Bcosh(x)= 0[/itex], for all x, is if A= B= 0.

2) They span the space. That is, that if y is any function satifying the differential equation, then [itex]y= Ce^x+ Dcosh(x)[/itex] for some numbers C and D.

HallsofIvy said:
2) They span the space. That is, that if y is any function satifying the differential equation, then [itex]y= Ce^x+ Dcosh(x)[/itex] for some numbers C and D.

Thankyou for your explanation.
I don't know how I am going to prove this last statement. Do I need to have an explicit solution vector to show that it can be generated by [itex]y= Ce^x+ Dcosh(x)[/itex] ?

when you are dealing with these 2nd order differential equations does it mean that there are two solutions?

So if I prove that

[itex]y= Ce^x+ Dcosh(x)= 0[/itex] if and only if the constants C and D are zero than that basis can generate the solution set of vectors V.

As the functions inverses [itex]e^x[/itex] and [itex] cosh(x)[/itex]
are not defined for 0 ie ln(0) is undifined etc is that enough to say that they must be independent as they can only equal zero if both constants are zero?

No, whether they are indpendent or not has nothing to do with inverses.

Suppose Aex+ Bcosh(x)= 0 for all x. In particular, Ae0+ B cosh(0)= A+ B= 0. Further, if Aex+ Bcosh(x)= 0, a constant, for all x, then its derivative must be 0 for all x also: Aex+ Bsinh(x)= 0 for all x. Now take x= 0.

To show that these span the set of all solutions to this second order equation, suppose y is such a solution. Let A= y'(0) and B= y(0)- y'(0). Then, as before, z(x)= Aex+ B cosh(x) is a solution to the same differential equation (of course, you have shown that ex and cosh(x) satisfy the differential equation?) having z(0)= A+ B= y(0) and z'(0)= A= y'(0). Now use the "existence and uniqueness theorem".

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi boneill3! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Hint: put z = dy/dx + y :wink:

Isn't the "existence and uniqueness theorem". mean that it is an solution in the space if the function and the first paritial derivative are continuous .

You say Hint: put z = dy/dx + y

we have
so

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}=yx[/itex]

so

[itex]z = yx+y[/itex]
and

[itex]z' = y[/itex]

which are both continuous proving that Z is in the solution space

boneill3 said:
so

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}=yx[/itex]

nooo … you can't integrate y and get yx :redface:

Differentiate z = dy/dx + y …

what do you get? :smile:

Last edited:
how do you differentiate dy/x ? what is its value?

He didn't say "dy/x" he said "dy/dx". And its derivative if the second derivative, [itex]d^2y/dx^2[/itex]. The derivative of z= dy/dx+ y is [itex]d^2y/dx^2+ dy/dx[/itex].

But I must admit, tiny tim, I don't see how that is related to this problem!

1. What is a vector of differential solutions?

A vector of differential solutions is a mathematical term used in the field of differential equations. It refers to a set of solutions to a given differential equation, which can be represented as a vector with each entry corresponding to a different solution.

2. How is a vector of differential solutions different from a general vector?

A vector of differential solutions is different from a general vector because it represents a set of specific solutions to a differential equation, whereas a general vector can represent any set of numbers or variables. Additionally, the entries in a vector of differential solutions are typically functions rather than constants or variables.

3. What is the importance of a vector of differential solutions?

A vector of differential solutions is important because it provides a comprehensive and concise representation of all possible solutions to a given differential equation. This allows for easier analysis and understanding of the behavior of the system described by the differential equation.

4. How is a vector of differential solutions used in real-world applications?

A vector of differential solutions is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It is particularly useful in modeling systems that involve continuous change over time, such as population growth, heat transfer, or motion of objects.

5. Are there any limitations to using a vector of differential solutions?

One limitation of using a vector of differential solutions is that it may not always be possible to find an analytical solution to a given differential equation. In such cases, numerical methods may need to be used to approximate the solutions. Additionally, the accuracy of the solutions may be affected by the initial conditions and assumptions made in the model.