Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector question to think about

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1
    my teacher told me to think about this and i don't seem to get it. given vectors X,Y,& Z; is there geometric significance when X*(YxZ)=0

* is dot product and x is cross product

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2

cornfall

Gold Member

geometry

Say X, Y and Z are orthonormal. Consider the part of X in the plane determined by the vectors Y and Z.

4. Sep 17, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The length of Y x Z is the area of a parallelogram with adjacent sides given by Y and Z.

X*(YxZ) is the the volume of a parallopiped having sides, at one vertex, given by X, Y, and Z. You can see that by using the formulas [itex]X*Y= |X||Y|sin(\theta)[/itex] and length of [itex]X x Y= |X||Y|cos(\theta)[/itex].

5. Sep 17, 2007 #4
    :mad: you shouldn't have just given him the answer

6. Sep 17, 2007 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

While HallsofIvy gave the interpretation when that special product is generally nonzero, there's still some interpretation left to do [for the OP] for the zero case.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  7. Sep 17, 2007 #6

isn't [itex]X x Y= |X||Y|sin(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]X*Y= |X||Y|cos(\theta)[/itex]?

also, from that definition, would the angle between Y and Z equal to 0? when i break the given down, i get:
    |X||Y|cos(theta) x |X||Z|cos(theta).
    i cant really see the geometric significance.

8. Sep 18, 2007 #7
    Combinations of cross products and dot products like that are known as triple products.

9. Sep 18, 2007 #8
    wait so then if this triple product equals to 0, then does that mean the parallopiped is a cube?

10. Sep 18, 2007 #9

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are (mostly) correct.
    It is [itex] | \vec X \times \vec Y | = |\vec X| |\vec Y| |\sin\theta| [/itex] and [itex] \vec X \cdot \vec Y = |\vec X| |\vec Y| \cos\theta [/itex], where [itex]\theta[/tex] is the angle between the vectors. ([itex] \vec X \times \vec Y [/itex] is a vector with magnitude [itex] |\vec X| |\vec Y| |\sin\theta| [/itex] with direction perpendicular to the plane determined by [itex]\vec X [/itex] and [itex]\vec Y [/itex], according to the right-hand-rule.)
    (I suspect HallsofIvy's typo was due to a confusion over the symbols " * " and its synonym " X " for multiplication.)

HallsofIvy gave the interpretation of the (scalar-)triple-product as the volume of a parallelopiped (a generally-slanted box with parallel sides) formed with those vectors. How would you describe this box if its volume were zero? What does that tell you about the relationship between [itex]\vec X[/itex], [itex]\vec Y[/itex] and [itex]\vec Z[/itex], along the lines of cornfall's suggestion?

11. Sep 18, 2007 #10
    if X,Y, & Z are orthonormal, than is X = (YxZ)? also, if the volume of the box is zero, then its not a 3d figure, its 2d. in that case, its a square.

12. Sep 18, 2007 #11

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, what does that mean for vectors X, Y, and Z?

13. Sep 18, 2007 #12
    is it that all three vectors are on the same plane?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  14. Sep 18, 2007 #13

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok that's one way that the triple product is zero.
    But suppose that X, Y, and Z are distinct nonzero vectors.
    In fact, take a special case when X, Y, and Z are all vectors of length 1.
    ( When X,Y,Z are mutually orthogonal, you have a cube... with volume 1. )

Can you form a different parallelepiped with distinct nonzero vectors (with length 1) with a volume that is almost zero?... from there nudge things so that the volume is zero. What can you say about the vectors X,Y, and Z in that case? Now generalize to the general case.

15. Sep 18, 2007 #14

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

ah... you changed your answer on me.

That's correct.

16. Sep 18, 2007 #15
    well i spent a lot of time thinking about it, and it finally clicked. Thanks for all the help!

17. Sep 19, 2007 #16

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes to the last- that's exactly what I said. No to the first. X x Y is a vector, not a number and what you give is its length.

What you wrote makes no sense- you cannot take the the cross product of two numbers!
    What does X*(YxZ)= 0 tell you about X and YxZ? What does that tell you, then, about X and both Y and Z?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?