Vector representation of Lorentz group

It's possible that you made a mistake in your calculations, but without seeing your work it's hard to say for sure.
kelly0303

Homework Statement

In this problem, we'll construct the ##(\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2})## representation which acts on "bi-spinors" ##V_{\alpha\dot{\alpha}}## with ##\alpha=1,2## and ##\dot{\alpha}=1,2##. It is convential, and convenient, to define these bi-spinors so that the first index transforms under ##\Lambda_R## and the second under the inverse of ##\Lambda_L##. That is, we define: ##V \to \Lambda_R V \Lambda_L^{-1}## .
a) Let's write a generic bi-spinor as ##V_{\alpha \dot{\alpha}}=\begin{pmatrix}
a & b \\
c & d
\end{pmatrix}## What is the change in a, b, c and d due to ##V \to \Lambda_R V \Lambda_L^{-1}## by an infinitesimal rotation by an angle ##\theta## around the z axis.
b) Write ##J_z## from part a) as a matrix acting on ##(a, b, c, d)##. What are its eigenvalues?

Homework Equations

##\Lambda_R=e^{\frac{1}{2}(i\theta_j\sigma_j+\beta_j\sigma_j)}##
##\Lambda_L=e^{\frac{1}{2}(i\theta_j\sigma_j-\beta_j\sigma_j)}##
with ##\sigma_j## being the Pauli matrices.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) For an infinitesimal transformation we have $$\Lambda_R V \Lambda_L^{-1}=(1+\frac{1}{2}i\theta_z\sigma_z)
\begin{pmatrix}
a & b \\
c & d
\end{pmatrix} (1-\frac{1}{2}i\theta_z\sigma_z)$$
which, after some calculations gives $$
\begin{pmatrix}
a(1+\frac{\theta_z^2}{4}) & b(1+i\theta_z-\frac{\theta_z^2}{4}) \\
c(1-i\theta_z-\frac{\theta_z^2}{4}) & d(1+\frac{\theta_z^2}{4})
\end{pmatrix}
$$
b) Here I tried this: $$(1+\frac{1}{2}i\theta_zJ_z)
\begin{pmatrix}
a\\
b\\
c\\
d
\end{pmatrix}
=
\begin{pmatrix}
a(1+\frac{\theta_z^2}{4})\\
b(1+i\theta_z-\frac{\theta_z^2}{4}) \\
c(1-i\theta_z-\frac{\theta_z^2}{4})\\
d(1+\frac{\theta_z^2}{4})
\end{pmatrix}
$$
But I am not sure what to do now. I expected to get for ##J_z##, something like ##diag(0, -1, 0, 1)## being the combination between a spin 0 and a spin 1 particle. But what I get doesn't look right. Can someone tell me what am I doing wrong? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach for part a) looks correct, but for part b) you need to isolate the matrix ##J_z## and then find its eigenvalues. To do this, you can equate the two matrices you have written in part a) and solve for ##J_z##. This should give you the desired matrix, and then you can find its eigenvalues by solving the characteristic equation.

1. What is the Lorentz group?

The Lorentz group is a mathematical concept that describes the symmetries of space and time in special relativity. It includes all possible transformations that leave the laws of physics unchanged, including rotations and boosts in space and time.

2. What is a vector representation of the Lorentz group?

A vector representation of the Lorentz group is a mathematical representation of the group's transformations using matrices or sets of numbers. These representations are used to describe the behavior of physical quantities, such as momentum and energy, under Lorentz transformations.

3. How is the vector representation of the Lorentz group used in physics?

The vector representation of the Lorentz group is used in physics to describe the behavior of particles and fields under the symmetries of special relativity. It is essential for understanding the fundamental laws of physics, such as the conservation of energy and momentum.

4. What are the components of a vector representation of the Lorentz group?

A vector representation of the Lorentz group is typically made up of four components: rotations in three-dimensional space, boosts in one-dimensional time, and two boosts that mix space and time. These components are often represented using four-dimensional matrices or sets of numbers.

5. Are there different types of vector representations of the Lorentz group?

Yes, there are different types of vector representations of the Lorentz group, known as irreducible representations. These representations are classified by their behavior under different types of transformations and are used to describe different types of particles and fields in physics.