Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector space for cross products?

1. Nov 18, 2006 #1
    What vector space are cross products done in?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're talking about the standard definition, it's only defined for vectors in three dimensions, so anything that has three dimensions you could do the cross product in. Why?

It occurs to me that I think there's a more general form for other dimensions, but I don't know it
  4. Nov 19, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A more general definition is this: Let [itex]\epsilon_{ijk...m}[/itex] be the "alternating tensor" in m dimensions: +1 if ijk...m is an even permutation of 123...n, -1 if an odd permutation, 0 otherwise. Then we can define the "cross product" of n-1 vectors [itex]v_1[/itex], [itex]v_2[/itex], ..., [itex]v_{n-1}[/itex] to be the vector [itex]v= \Sigma \epsilon_{ij...m}v_{1i}v_{2j}...v_{n-1,m}[/itex] where the sum is take over repeated indices. If n= 3 then that gives the cross product on R2.
  5. Nov 19, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

given n-1 vectors in n dimensions, let them act on another vector w by taking the detrminant of the mtrix the n vectors form togetehjr. that gives alinear \map of w, which is thus dotting with aunique vector caled the cross product of the first n-1 vectors.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?