Vector Sum of Forces Experiment

In summary, CWatters was trying to find a way to change the direction of the resultant vector R by tilting the table, but was unsuccessful.
Kenny Wong

Homework Statement

http://cgscomwww.catlin.edu/sauerb/AP12/AP12_Labs/AP12_Lab_4_Forces_files/image002.jpg
My experiment is like this picture found in the net. The weight in the middle is called R in my experiment, while the left one is P and the right Q.

Now there is one question asked, the answer of which is needed to be included in the report.
It goes like this: "the direction of ALL the resultant vector R=( l P+Q l ) must be the same. If you want the direction of the resultant vector R to be different, what should you do to the arrangement of apparatus in Figure 4? (Use your own creativity / creative thinking)"

2. The attempt at a solution
Is the direction of the resultant vector R the same as the gravity which is downwards? Then how can we change it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Clearly you can't change the direction of gravity but the problem doesn't limit what else you can change. Have a think about gravity and what it is.

OK gravity is always directed towards the centre of the earth.

Gravity yes. What about other forms of acceleration?

There are 4 types of fundamental forces: Gravity, Electromagnetic Force, Strong Nuclear Force and Weak Nuclear Force.
The latter two are, if I am correct, involved particularly in interactions between elementary particles.
So Sir, do you mean electromagnetic force?

I have thought about that but it seems to complex and sophisticated.
Please enlighten me...:)

Those are forces. I said acceleration.

The mass is currently hanging down vertically due to gravity. Can you think of a way to get it to hang at say 10 degrees to the vertical? Hint: You might not be able to do it in a confined space or for very long.

Do you mean tilting the whole table, Sir?
This is the only way I can think of...
and it's the same as decreasing the height of one of the two fixed points (P or Q), if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:
I was actually thinking of putting the rig on wheels and accelerating it horizontally.

Do you mean like this, Sir?
Because I don't really understand...

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 565
No I mean put the whole rig on wheels and accelerate it across the lab like this..
Untitled.png

OH...
Oh sorry Sir, forgive my stupidity. Yes you have solve the problem! Since day 1...
Thank you Sir CWatters for accompanying me this whole week. I appreciate it. :k

Though in the end, I still can't figure it out myself...

Related to Vector Sum of Forces Experiment

1. What is the vector sum of forces experiment?

The vector sum of forces experiment is a physics experiment that involves calculating the net force acting on an object by adding all the individual forces acting on it. This experiment helps to understand the concept of vector addition and how it applies to real-world situations.

2. How is the vector sum of forces experiment conducted?

The experiment typically involves setting up a pulley system with weights on either side of a frictionless surface. The weights represent the individual forces, and the direction and magnitude of each force can be adjusted. By measuring the motion of the system, the net force acting on the object can be calculated.

3. What is the importance of the vector sum of forces experiment?

Understanding the concept of vector addition and how to calculate the net force acting on an object is essential in many areas of science and engineering, such as mechanics, dynamics, and kinematics. It helps to accurately predict the motion of objects and analyze the forces acting on them.

4. What are some potential sources of error in the vector sum of forces experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment include friction in the pulley system, inaccuracies in measuring the weights and distances, and neglecting the effects of air resistance. It is important to minimize these errors to obtain accurate results.

5. How can the vector sum of forces experiment be applied in real-life situations?

The concept of vector addition and net force is applicable in various real-life situations, such as calculating the force required to move an object, predicting the trajectory of a projectile, and analyzing the forces acting on a structure. This experiment helps to develop problem-solving skills and an understanding of the physical world around us.