1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector-Valued Function Question

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    (a) Find the y-intercept of the line in 2-space that is represented by the vector equation r = (3+2t)i+5tj
    (b) Find the coordinates of the points where the line r = ti + (1+2t)j - 3tk intersects the plane 3x-y-z=2

For a, I'm pretty sure it's (0,-7.5), just took (3,0) and went in the direction v=2i+5j to the y-intercept.
    For b, I listed the point (0,1,0) from the coordinates of r and the vector v=i+2j-3k. After combining them with guess and check, I came up with the answer of (3/4, 10/4, -9/4).

I'm pretty sure I have the right answers, but I technically ended both with guess and check. What is the proper way to finish both problems?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2009 #2
    For part (a) think about it this way- you are looking to find the y-intercept, so looking in terms of a 2-D plane, if you are looking at a y-intercept what is your x-value? So take that value and set it equal to X and then solve for the time(t) when you are at that point. Then plug that t into your equation.

for (b)- try kind of thinking along the same lines of the other question in terms of what you can imply from the question.

4. Feb 22, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

a) To y-intercept, so set 3 + 2t = 0 and solve for t. Then use that value to get the y value (5t) at the y-intercept.
    b) This one is a bit more involved. The vector equation of the line is r(t) = (t, 1 + 2t, -3t). The equation of the plane is 3x - y - z = 2, and this can be put in the form of a vector equation this way:
    3x = y + z + 2
    or
    x = 1/3 * y + 1/3 * z + 2/3
    y = y
    z = z

The last two equations are trivially true, and are thrown in to give us a vector equation, namely
    (x, y, z) = y*(1/3, 1, 0) + z*(1/3, 0, 1) + (2/3, 0, 0).

At any point of intersection, the point (x, y, z) on the line must also be on the plane, so the x-coordinates have to be equal, as do the y-coordinates and the z-coordinates.

This means that
    (t, 1 + 2t, -3t) = y*(1/3, 1, 0) + z*(1/3, 0, 1) + (2/3, 0, 0), or
    t = 1/3 * y + 1/3 * z + 2/3
    1 + 2t = y
    -3t = z

Solving the last two equation for y and z gives us y = 2/3*t + 1/3 and z = -t.
    Substituting these values into the first equation just above yields t = 3/4 at the point of intersection, which gives us the point (3/4, 5/2, -9/4), which is what you got.

5. Feb 23, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For both of these you need to know that the position vector, r, of the point (x, y, z) is always xi+ yj+ zk. I hope you knew that but didn't think to use it.

The x intercept is when x= 3+ 2t= 0. Solve for t and put that into y= 5t.

x= t, y= 1+ 2t, z= -3t. Put those into the equation 3x- y- z= 2 to get an equation for t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook