Vector Valued Function Using (or misusing) Trig Identity

In summary, the conversation discusses converting a vector valued function to a real valued function in order to sketch a curve. The steps to convert are provided, but there is confusion about squaring both sides and the result not being 1 due to a misunderstanding of the properties of squaring.
kmacinto

Homework Statement

The context of the problem is that it's a vector valued function (VVF) problem where I'm supposed to sketch a curve generated by a VVF. To make the sketching easier I'm supposed to convert a VVF to a real valued function so that I can take advantage of the shape of a curve covered in previous sections of the text in real valued function format.

Homework Equations

Sketch the curve represented by the vector valued function r(θ) and give the orientation of the curve. r(θ)=3sec(θ)i+2tan(θ)j.

The Attempt at a Solution

The real valued function that r(θ) converts to is a hyperbola given by the equation (x^2)/2=(y^2)/2+1

The steps given in the book are:
1) from r(θ) set:
x=3sec(θ), y=2tan(θ)

2) (x^2)/2=(y^2)/2+1 which is the solution.

My steps attempted are:
1) divide x and y by the constants leaving:
x/3 = sec(θ) and y/2 = tan(θ)

2) equate both equations leaving:
x/3 + y/2 = sec(θ) + tan(θ)

3) square both sides leaving:
(x/3)^2 + (y/3)^2 = (sec(θ))^2 + (tan(θ))^2

and here's where I'm stuck...

Because both sides need a negative to work. For instance, for the (y/3)^2 to be on the right and positive it needs to be negative on the left and to get the right side to equal 1 using (tanθ)^2 + 1 = (secθ)^2, I need either the (tanθ)^2 or the (secθ)^2 to be negative where they're at now. Right?

Totally flustered!

Ken
PS. The attachment is the problem and given solution from the textbook.

Attachments

• 12.1 Problem.jpg
    12.1 Problem.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ken! :smile:
kmacinto said:
1) divide x and y by the constants leaving:
x/3 = sec(θ) and y/2 = tan(θ)

2) equate both equations leaving:
x/3 + y/2 = sec(θ) + tan(θ)

3) square both sides leaving:
(x/3)^2 + (y/3)^2 = (sec(θ))^2 + (tan(θ))^2

I don't understand what you're doing. :confused:

What is sec2θ - tan2θ ? :wink:

[itex](a+ b)^2\ne a^2+ b^2[/itex]

1. What is a vector-valued function?

A vector-valued function is a mathematical function that takes in one or more variables and outputs a vector, which is a quantity with both magnitude and direction. It is often represented as a parametric equation with vector components.

2. How is trigonometry used in vector-valued functions?

Trigonometry is used in vector-valued functions to represent the magnitude and direction of the vector components. Trigonometric identities, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, are used to calculate the values of these components.

3. Can trig identities be misused in vector-valued functions?

Yes, trig identities can be misused in vector-valued functions if they are applied in the wrong context or with incorrect variables. This can lead to incorrect vector calculations and results.

4. What are some common mistakes when using trig identities in vector-valued functions?

One common mistake is using the wrong trig identity for a specific vector component. Another mistake is forgetting to consider the direction of the vector when applying trig identities.

5. How can I avoid misusing trig identities in vector-valued functions?

To avoid misusing trig identities in vector-valued functions, it is important to carefully review the equations and ensure that the correct identities are being applied and that the direction of the vector is taken into account. It may also be helpful to double-check calculations and seek assistance from a math expert if needed.