1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector wave-function spin

1. Nov 17, 2004 #1
    [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}\grave{\psi_{x}}\\\grave{\psi_{y}}\end{array}\right)=(\left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 0\\0 & 1\end{array}\right)-\frac{ie_{z}}{h}\left(\begin{array}{cc}L_{z} & 0\\0 & L_{z}\end{array}\right)-\frac{ie_{z}}{h}\left(\begin{array}{cc}0 & -ih\\ih & 0\end{array}\right))\left(\begin{array}{cc}\psi_{x}\\\psi_{y}\end{array}\right)[/tex]

According to my book, the right hand side rotates a vector wave-function (psi_x and psi_y are both scalar functions of x and y) counterclockwise about the z axis by e_z. It seems to me that this must be a typo, and that instead, if you combine the first two matrices into a single operator L, and call the last matrix the operator S, then the transformation should be given by: J=L+SL, instead of J=L+S. I'm confused. thnx

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2004 #2
    Yes it is a typo. Arguments are the following...
    1. Since Lz is responsible for the rotation so second term must contain Lz.
    2.It is a simple transformation which can be written as...
    z`=z
    x'=xcos(theta)+ysin(theta)
    y'=-xsin(theta)+y cos(theta)
    Now we are dealing with Q.M. where angular momentum is the generator of rotation. The cos and sine are replaced by Lz operators.
    >>> so the correct one is replace hbar within the second matrix by Lz .

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  4. Nov 21, 2004 #3
    Actually, after rereading the problem, it is correct, to a first approximation in e_z, which is all that matters anyway for infinitismal operations.

L is the generator of infinitismal rotatation for scalar wave functions, but for vector wave functions, you need J=L+S, where S rotates the vector (and L rotates the coordinates) and is the spin matrix.

Although I don't understand how S in this example could be the spin matrix, as S_z should be diagonal in this basis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?