Vehicle: Force - Velocity Question

In summary, a person of significantly less weight was able to thrust a heavier car into a full 360 degree spin over a short distance.
Ford Explorer
I understand that these forums probably get flooded with people trying to beat pending cases against them, and I was hoping that I could use some of your brains to help solve a question that has been bothering me. I've never actually taken physics, so any help I could get in this area, could greatly help my family.

Is there a way to determine a vehicle's speed based upon other vehicle's spin and weight factors?

I was in a 2004 Ford Explorer (Gross weight: 5,880lbs. Curb weight: 4,463lbs.) waiting to turn LEFT onto a street with a 35-45mph roadway. When I negotiated the turn and felt I had enough time to clear traffic and begin traveling on that road, I was quickly slammed by a 2000 Ford Taurus (Curb weight: 1,522lbs.).

My Ford Explorer was at a near dead stop; maybe 5mph at the beginning of the turn.

My vehicle was slammed in the front right corner and spun OVER 360 degrees (counter clockwise) The impact damage into my vehicle was over one foot deep [though probably irrelevant].

Myself and others have collective reason to believe that the TAURUS (car A) was traveling at a speed that exceeded 45mph in order to spin such a heavy vehicle a full 360 degrees.

Is there a way to figure out an estimated speed for the Taurus based upon the fact that his speed was all that matters?

Is it possible for a vehicle weighing nearly a third of the other vehicle's weight to thrust the latter object into a full spin at only 35-45mph?

I've been in a few accidents, (thus far, none have been my fault) and never have I felt such an incredible amount of force at such a 'low' speed.

If any other information is needed in helping solve this mystery, please do not hesitate to contact me.

One of you could greatly help the outcome of this court-case.

Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also note, there were no skid marks at the scene of the accident.
The police stated that no 'recreation of accident' could be assessed without skid marks.
This also leads me to believe that he was traveling at a speed well beyond the legal limit as no reaction was made on his part.

Bump.

Any formulas or information at all would be greatly appreciated.

1. What is the relationship between force and velocity in a vehicle?

The relationship between force and velocity in a vehicle is that force is what causes a change in velocity. In other words, the application of force on a vehicle will result in a change in its velocity.

2. How does the force of a vehicle affect its velocity?

The force of a vehicle affects its velocity by either increasing or decreasing it. If the force is applied in the same direction as the vehicle's current velocity, it will increase the velocity. On the other hand, if the force is applied in the opposite direction, it will decrease the velocity.

3. How do different types of forces impact the velocity of a vehicle?

Various types of forces, such as friction, air resistance, and gravity, can have different effects on the velocity of a vehicle. Friction and air resistance can decrease the velocity, while gravity can either increase or decrease it depending on the direction of the force.

4. What is the role of inertia in the force-velocity relationship of a vehicle?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to maintain its state of motion. In the case of a vehicle, if there is no external force acting on it, it will continue to move with a constant velocity. However, if a force is applied, the vehicle's inertia will resist the change in velocity.

5. How does the mass of a vehicle affect its force-velocity relationship?

The mass of a vehicle plays a crucial role in its force-velocity relationship. The greater the mass of a vehicle, the more force is required to change its velocity. This means that a heavier vehicle will have a slower acceleration and a higher force is needed to stop it compared to a lighter vehicle.