Velocity and Acceleration questions

In summary: So you would need to use the original equation with t=3 to get the final velocity.But for velocity... You can read off ##-9 \frac{meters}{sec}## for the velocity at t=0. But by t=3, acceleration has occurred. The new velocity is not the same as the initial velocity. So you would need to use the original equation with t=3 to get the final velocity.Yes, the original equation with t=3 is needed to get the final velocity.
Dillion
Missing template. Originally posted in different forum.
x(t)= -4m-(9m/s)t+(2m/s)t^2

I'm lost on velocity and acceleration. Below are questions on a worksheet and i answered positive and negative. Can someone correct me on them please? Thank you!

Is the initial acceleration in the positive x or negative x direction?
positive?
Is the initial velocity in the positive x or negative x direction?
negative?
Is the initial position in the positive x or negative x direction from the origin?
negative?
After 3 seconds is the acceleration in the positive x or negative x direction?
positive?
After 3 seconds, is the velocity in the positive x or negative x direction?
negative?
After 3 seconds is the position in the positive x or negative x direction from the origin?
negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dillion said:
x(t)= -4m-(9m/s)t+(2m/s)t^2
If t is in seconds then that formula is dimensionally incorrect. What would the resulting units be on the acceleration term?

jbriggs444 said:
If t is in seconds then that formula is dimensionally incorrect. What would the resulting units be on the acceleration term?

x(t)= -4m-(9m/s)t+(2m/s^2)t^2

I forgot to square the acceleration...does that help?

Dillion said:
x(t)= -4m-(9m/s)t+(2m/s^2)t^2

I forgot to square the acceleration...does that help?
Yes, that addresses that problem.

But... this should have been posted in the homework section using the supplied template. And you need to show some work. You have a function for position as a function of time. Start with the third question. Can you answer that?

Dillion said:
Is the initial position in the positive x or negative x direction from the origin?
negative?

jbriggs444 said:
Yes, that addresses that problem.

But... this should have been posted in the homework section using the supplied template. And you need to show some work. You have a function for position as a function of time. Start with the third question. Can you answer that?
I want to say negative because of the -4m...but I have a feeling that is wrong

Dillion said:
I want to say negative because of the -4m...but I have a feeling that is wrong
That would be correct.

If you evaluate the expression ##-4{meters} -9\frac{meters}{sec}t + 2\frac{meters}{{sec}^2}t^2## for ##t## = 0 sec then the result would be -4 meters.

Velocity is the rate of change of position with respect to time. If t is near zero and is increasing, what can we say about x? Is x increasing or decreasing? Is there a term in the equation that can tell you that easily?

If you have to, try evaluating the expression for t = 0.01 and see what the result is.

jbriggs444 said:
That would be correct.

If you evaluate the expression ##-4{meters} -9\frac{meters}{sec}t + 2\frac{meters}{{sec}^2}t^2## for ##t## = 0 sec then the result would be -4 meters.

Velocity is the rate of change of position with respect to time. If t is near zero and is increasing, what can we say about x? Is x increasing or decreasing? Is there a term in the equation that can tell you that easily?

If you have to, try evaluating the expression for t = 0.01 and see what the result is.

so when answering all the "initial" questions, I just have to look at the sign in the equation.When it asks for "After 3 seconds", I would still have to look at the signs for acceleration and velocity but not position, correct? For position, I could just plug in 3 seconds into t and solve.

Dillion said:
so when answering all the "initial" questions, I just have to look at the sign in the equation.
By this, I assume that you mean "look at the sign of the corresponding term". That works if t is zero.
When it asks for "After 3 seconds", I would still have to look at the signs for acceleration and velocity but not position, correct? For position, I could just plug in 3 seconds into t and solve.
Yes, for position, you can just plug in 3 seconds and evaluate the formula.

But for velocity... You can read off ##-9 \frac{meters}{sec}## for the velocity at t=0. But by t=3, acceleration has occurred. The new velocity is not the same as the initial velocity.

FAQ: Velocity and Acceleration questions

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's displacement over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In simpler terms, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration tells us how quickly the velocity is changing.

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's displacement by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula v = Δx / Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is the change in displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the unit of measurement for velocity?

The most common unit of measurement for velocity is meters per second (m/s). However, other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or feet per second (ft/s) may also be used depending on the context.

4. How is acceleration related to force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the formula a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is force, and m is mass.

5. Can an object have a positive velocity and negative acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a positive velocity and negative acceleration if its velocity is increasing in the negative direction. This means that the object is moving in the negative direction but its speed is decreasing. An example of this could be a car slowing down while still moving forward.