Optimizing Counter Flow Heat Exchangers: Calculating Outlet Temperatures

In summary, the process water with a specific heat capacity of 4.182 kJ kg–1 K–1 is flowing at a rate of 0.050 kg s–1 through a heat exchanger where its temperature is increased from 16°C to 85°C. The heat is supplied by exhaust gases (mean specific heat capacity 1.075 kJ kg–1 K–1) which enter the heat exchanger at a temperature of 420°C. With a mass flowrate of 0.044 kg s–1, the outlet temperature of the exhaust gases is 115 degrees. The heat load of the heat exchanger is 14.4W.
Mitch1

Homework Statement

Process water with a specific heat capacity of 4.182 kJ kg–1 K–1 flows at a rate of 0.050 kg s–1 through a heat exchanger where its temperature is increased from 16°C to 85°C. Heat is supplied by exhaust gases (mean specific heat capacity 1.075 kJ kg–1 K–1) which enter the heat exchanger at a temperature of 420°C. If the mass flowrate of the exhaust gases is 0.044 kg s–1, determine their outlet temperature

Homework Equations

∆T=(TH2 –TC1)–(TH1 –TC2) ln⎛TH2 –TC1⎞

⎜ ⎟ ⎝TH1 –TC2⎠

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the basis on how to calculate the Temperature difference and heat loss along with area however I am unsure on how to calculate the outlet hot temperature Th2 and how to rearrange this equation to find the outlet temp
Any guidance or equations that may be of use would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the rate of heat flow from the hot gas to the process water? This is the "heat load" of the heat exchanger. You can determine this directly from the flow rate and temperature change of the process water.

Chet

Hi Chet
Thanks for your reply
Would this be 0.05x(85-16)=3.45?
Is this the heat capacity rate?
Thanks

Mitch1 said:
Hi Chet
Thanks for your reply
Would this be 0.05x(85-16)=3.45?
Is this the heat capacity rate?
Thanks
You left out the heat capacity from your expression to calculate the heat load. The heat load is WCp(Tout-Tin).

Chet

Chestermiller said:
You left out the heat capacity from your expression to calculate the heat load. The heat load is WCp(Tout-Tin).

Chet
Ok so it simply 3.45x4.182=14.4279
Thanks

Chet, please note the heat exchanger is a double pipe type and the fluids are in counter flow - not sure if this has an impact on which equations that were going to be used
Thanks in advance

Mitch1 said:
Chet, please note the heat exchanger is a double pipe type and the fluids are in counter flow - not sure if this has an impact on which equations that were going to be used
Thanks in advance
You can figure that out yourself if you can articulate what is happening physically. Please give it a try.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
You can figure that out yourself if you can articulate what is happening physically. Please give it a try.

Chet
Okay thanks for your help I will give it a go

Hi Chet
Thanks for the help with the heat exchanger question
I would be grateful if you pointed me in the right direction on which method to use as I do not have the area, i could easily work the temp outlet hot out using the effectiveness method although I do not have the area. I am rather stuck and do not know which way to look
Again thanks

Mitch1 said:
Hi Chet
Thanks for the help with the heat exchanger question
I would be grateful if you pointed me in the right direction on which method to use as I do not have the area, i could easily work the temp outlet hot out using the effectiveness method although I do not have the area. I am rather stuck and do not know which way to look
Again thanks
You would have to do that kind of analysis if you didn't know the inlet and outlet temperatures for one of the streams. But, in this problem, you do. So you can get the heat load, and you can get the outlet temperature of the other stream. If you were designing a heat exchanger, you would not be finished here. To design the heat exchanger, you would have to find the heat transfer area to make good on this heat load. You could use the method you alluded to in order to do this.

Chet

Hi
this is my attempt

Φ=qmc cpC (TC1-TC2) = qmH cpH (TH1-TH2)
Therefore:
Φ = qmc cpC (TC1-TC2)
Φ = 0.050 x 4.184 x (85-16)
Φ = 0.209 x 69
Φ = 14.4W
Now:
14.4 =0.044 x 1.075 x (410 - TH2)
14.4/0.044 x 1.075 = (410 - TH2)
= 410 – 304
TH2 = 106 degrees

blitzman said:
Hi
this is my attempt

Φ=qmc cpC (TC1-TC2) = qmH cpH (TH1-TH2)
Therefore:
Φ = qmc cpC (TC1-TC2)
Φ = 0.050 x 4.184 x (85-16)
Φ = 0.209 x 69
Φ = 14.4W
Now:
14.4 =0.044 x 1.075 x (410 - TH2)
14.4/0.044 x 1.075 = (410 - TH2)
= 410 – 304
TH2 = 106 degrees
Looks good.

Chet

I believe it should be 420-305 which is 115 degrees

What is a counter flow heat exchanger?

A counter flow heat exchanger is a type of heat exchanger that is used to transfer heat between two fluids that flow in opposite directions, with one fluid entering at one end and the other fluid entering at the opposite end.

How does a counter flow heat exchanger work?

In a counter flow heat exchanger, the two fluids flow in opposite directions, allowing for efficient heat transfer. The hot fluid and the cold fluid pass by each other, with the hot fluid losing heat to the cold fluid as it flows towards the outlet. This creates a temperature gradient between the two fluids, allowing for efficient heat transfer.

What are the advantages of using a counter flow heat exchanger?

One of the main advantages of a counter flow heat exchanger is its efficiency. The opposite flow of the two fluids allows for a larger temperature difference, resulting in a more efficient heat transfer. Additionally, counter flow heat exchangers are compact and have a smaller footprint compared to other types of heat exchangers.

What are some common applications of counter flow heat exchangers?

Counter flow heat exchangers are commonly used in industrial settings for heating, cooling, and energy recovery processes. They are also used in HVAC systems, refrigeration systems, and power plants.

What factors should be considered when selecting a counter flow heat exchanger?

When selecting a counter flow heat exchanger, factors such as the flow rate, temperature difference between the two fluids, and the materials used should be taken into consideration. Other factors such as pressure drop, efficiency, and maintenance requirements should also be considered.