1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity in spherical polar coordinates

1. Dec 25, 2015 #1
    I am looking at this derivation of velocity in spherical polar coordinates and I am confused by the definition of r, theta and phi.
    http://www.usna.edu/Users/math/rmm/SphericalCoordinates.pdf [Broken]

I thought phi was the co latitude in the r,θ,∅ system and not the latitude. Of course the two are related through the equation 90 - colatitude.

Would this change the derivation ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello weatherstudent, :welcome:

It's a choice that looks convenient for looking at the world with its historically grown coordinnate system.
    Derivation doesn't change, but you want to be careful bringing in equations from other disciplines; you'll have a minus sign here and there, or the range of ##\phi## may cause confusion.

Physicists and and mathematicians also have created their own booby traps by adapting different spherical coordinate systems, so why shouldn't meteorologists have yet another one :smile: !

4. Dec 25, 2015 #3
    Thanks for that response and the welcome. :-)

I wasn't referring to the convenience. Would substituting latitude for colatitude not change the equation as well ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook