Velocity of a water jet given water pressure and diameter?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 30K views
rufnrede
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I need to determine the velocity of a water jet. For example, if a garden hose is 1/2" in diameter and we assume that the water pressure is 40psi, what would be the water velocity (in ft/s) as it exits the hose (assuming no nozzle)?



We know Pressure = force/area, but I want to know the velocity in feet/second, so I don't know what equation to use!



Since velocity has a time component, would we need to introduce another factor? Maybe estimate the gallons per minute? Is this known for a typical garden hose? Thank you in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can estimate flow speed from an orifice given just it's size, the presure and a factor that describes the shape.
Have you tried looking up orifice+flow in your textbook.
 
.32 X GPM
_________ = Ft/Sec velocity
TFA (sq. in.)
http://www.uiweb.uidaho.edu/extension/lawn/Files/Garden_Hose.htm
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Use the Newton's second law, considering a small dt amount of time.