Velocity of bullet fired from a gun

In summary: You need to find the time of flight, not the slope.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of velocity, time, distance, and acceleration for a bullet fired from the ground with an initial velocity of 0. The speaker initially calculates the total velocity using the Pythagorean theorem, but then realizes that the bullet's trajectory is not a straight line and therefore not all formulas can be applied. The correct approach is to consider the horizontal and vertical components separately and use equations for the coordinates at different times after launch. The importance of determining the slope and time of flight is also mentioned.
jamiebean
Homework Statement
attached below
Relevant Equations
final velocity=initial velocity + accelerationxtime
distance=((initial velocity+final velocity)/2)x time
螢幕截圖 2020-05-22 上午1.18.50.png

I first calculated the velocity v:
√2.8^2+6.3^2= 6.8942

then i used it as the final velocity, so final velocity=6.8942
and the initial velocity=0
acceleration=9.8

Then i substituted them into this equation:
then time=0.703489843

hence i substituted all values into this equation:
distance= ((initial velocity+final velocity)/2) x time

so, distance=2.42499

but the answer is not correct...I wonder what's wrong T.T

Physics news on Phys.org
[QUOTE="jamiebean, post: 6344729, member:

[/QUOTE]
How?
A gun that fires a bullet with 0 initial velocity?

cnh1995 said:
[QUOTE="jamiebean, post: 6344729, member:

How?
A gun that fires a bullet with 0 initial velocity?
[/QUOTE]
opps.. so initial velocity=6.8942?

jamiebean said:
opps.. so initial velocity=6.8942?
The initial velocity is a vector. It has a direction. It has components. Those components are given.

jamiebean said:
then i used it as the final velocity, so final velocity=6.8942
acceleration=9.8

Then i substituted them into this equation:
then time=0.703489843
The total velocity (not 'final' velocity) seems reasonable, but they you go and compute time as the time it would take a rock dropped to accelerate to that velocity, which is not what's going on here.

Read the problem more carefully.Edit: I should read the problem more carefully. Bullet fired from the ground, but upward. I took y to be east and x to be north. Oops!

Last edited:
The bullet does composite movement: uniform motion in the x-axis , and constant deceleration motion in the y-axis. You are using some formulas (like for example distance=((initial velocity+final velocity)/2)xtime) that are valid only in the case of a body that does movement in a straight line.

But the bullet's trajectory is actually a curve (parabola) and not a straight line. However if you study its motion separately in the x-axis (or in the y-axis) then you can consider that it moves in a straight line with regards to these axis.
SO:
Use the same formulas but separately for the movement in the x-axis and separately for the movement in the y-axis. Like for example when you use the formula
final velocity=initial velocity+acceleration x time you have to use it for the final and initial velocity in the y-axis only and the acceleration in the y-axis only as well.

jamiebean said:
I first calculated the velocity v:
√2.8^2+6.3^2= 6.8942
That was a backward step.
More usually, trajectory problems give you the launch speed and angle, and the first thing you have to do is to find the horizontal and vertical components. Here they have helped you by stating the velocity in terms of those components.

Because there is no drag, the horizontal and vertical motions are independent. Write equations for the coordinates at time t after launch.

You'll need to determine the slope. If, for example, the barrel angle is 45º above the line of sight from a rangefinfer , then gravity is operating through about .7071 (i.e. the cosine of the angle) of the straight-line distance to the target. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifleman's_rule
Delta2 said:
But the bullet's trajectory is actually a curve (parabola) and not a straight line.
It's a straight line only when you're shooting straight up or straight down.

sysprog said:
You'll need to determine the slope.
You only need the slope to determine the components. If you already have the components, determining the slope is a waste of effort.

Likes haruspex

1. What is the velocity of a bullet fired from a gun?

The velocity of a bullet fired from a gun can vary depending on the type of gun, the caliber of the bullet, and other factors. However, on average, a bullet fired from a handgun can travel at speeds of 800-1200 feet per second, while a bullet fired from a rifle can travel at speeds of 2000-3000 feet per second.

2. How is the velocity of a bullet measured?

The velocity of a bullet is typically measured using a chronograph, which uses sensors to track the time it takes for a bullet to pass through two points. The distance between these points is known, and by calculating the time it takes for the bullet to pass through, the velocity can be determined.

3. Does the weight of a bullet affect its velocity?

Yes, the weight of a bullet can affect its velocity. Generally, a lighter bullet will have a higher velocity than a heavier one, as it requires less force to accelerate. However, other factors such as the gun's barrel length and the amount of gunpowder used can also impact the velocity.

4. Can the velocity of a bullet be increased?

Yes, the velocity of a bullet can be increased by using a more powerful gun, using lighter bullets, or using a longer barrel. However, increasing the velocity too much can also be dangerous, as it can cause the bullet to become unstable and potentially cause damage to the gun or the shooter.

5. How does air resistance affect the velocity of a bullet?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the velocity of a bullet. As the bullet travels through the air, it experiences drag, which slows it down. This is why bullets fired at longer distances will have a lower velocity than those fired at shorter distances. Additionally, the shape and weight of the bullet can also affect how much it is affected by air resistance.