Solving Velocity Problems: Initial Velocity 80 m/s

• Thread starter sb_4000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is struggling with solving parts c) and d) of a physics question involving a ball being thrown upward with an initial velocity of 80 m/s. They believe that parts a) and b) of the question are correct, but are unsure about c) and d). The conversation ends with the suggestion to review kinematic equations and use a graphical approach to analyze the motion of the ball.
sb_4000
Hi,

Im having a problem solving one part of a question..

1) A ball is thrown upward with the initial velocity of 80 m/s.
a- How long is the ball in the air? 16.33s
b- What is the greatest height reached by the ball? 326.26m
c- when is the ball 20m above the ground?
I think I am doing this wrong, but I put 20 = v_0*t, 20/V_0 = t and i get 0.25s
d- what is the velocity of the ball, when it hits the ground?
On this one I am totaly lost, but I managed to get sqrt(2g+v^2+h) which I know is wrong.

I think a and b are correct but I am not so sure about the c and d, If you can read over it and see if it right I would appreciate it..

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both c) and d) is wrong; how did you get a) and b)?

for a) v=v_0 + at, t =2(v_0-V)/g = 16.33s Thats how I got a.

for b) h = v^2/2g = (80 m/s)^2/2(9.8)= 326 m

but I don't know how to get c or d

Hi

If you're having trouble doing this, you might want to consider reviewing the familiar kinematic equations:

[tex]v = v_{0} + at[/tex]
[tex]v^2 = v_{0}^2 + 2a(S-S_{0})[/tex]
[tex]S = S_{0} + v_{0}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

More importantly you will want to know when to apply which and/or the signs to be used. Chose a particular direction as positive and prefix the sign accordingly. For part (c), S = y = 20m, S_{0} = 0 and v_{0} = 80 m/s.

Secondly you should draw a graph for velocity vs time and 'integrate it' to get the displacement/time profile. The zero crossings and horizontal slopes (extrema points) will gave you a fair idea of the motion of the ball. After you're comfortable you can switch back to a purely algebraic approach to solve such problems though graphically they are easier to analyze.

Hope that helps...

Cheers
Vivek

1. What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity refers to the speed at which an object is moving at the beginning of its motion. It is usually denoted as "v0" or "u" in equations.

2. How do you calculate initial velocity?

To calculate initial velocity, you need to know the displacement (change in position), time, and acceleration of the object. You can use the formula v0 = (change in position) / (time) - (0.5 x acceleration x time). Alternatively, if the object starts from rest, the initial velocity is simply equal to the final velocity.

3. What units are used to measure initial velocity?

Initial velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or sometimes in kilometers per hour (km/h).

4. How does initial velocity affect an object's motion?

The initial velocity determines the speed at which an object starts moving and the direction of its motion. It also affects how quickly the object will accelerate or decelerate.

5. Can initial velocity be negative?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative if the object is initially moving in the opposite direction of its final motion. For example, if an object is thrown downwards, its initial velocity will be negative as it moves in the negative direction.