Velocity vectors in different directions for momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving conservation of linear momentum and using the equation p=mv. The student is struggling to solve the problem and is unsure how to approach it. They attempt to use the equation but realize that the velocity vectors must be added component by component. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use Oro's notation to solve the problem.
jb007

Homework Statement

I'm stuck on this problem, and I don't really know how to approach it.
upload_2015-2-13_0-4-14.png

Homework Equations

Pretty much just p=mv
And the conservation of linear momentum: total initial mv = total final mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried just plugging in the variables into the conservation of momentum equation, but it doesn't work out. I know you can't just add velocity vectors that are in different directions, right? They have to have the same I hat or j hat? How would you solve for them?

Physics news on Phys.org
jb007 said:
I tried just plugging in the variables into the conservation of momentum equation, but it doesn't work out. I know you can't just add velocity vectors that are in different directions, right? They have to have the same I hat or j hat? How would you solve for them?

What do you get when you try conservation of momentum? Can you show us your working? Vectors do add, but they add component by component, for example:
$$
(A\hat i + B \hat j) + (C\hat i + D\hat j) = (A+C)\hat i + (B+D)\hat j.
$$

So I used the conservation of p equation like this:

mv0i + 2m0.5v0j = mvf + 2m0.25v0i

But I know this must be wrong because the vectors here aren't adding by components.

It's easier if you follow Oro's notation:$$
m\; (v_0 \hat\imath + 0 \hat\jmath) + 2 m\; (0 \hat\imath + {\textstyle 1\over 2} v_0 \hat\jmath ) = ...$$This gives you two equations: one where you group all the ##\hat\imath## together -- this is the eqauation for conservation of momentum in the x direction -- and one where you group all the ##\hat\jmath## together

From two equations you can solve for two unknowns: the ##\hat\imath## component gives you the velocity component in the x-direction and the ##\hat\jmath## idem y-direction. Together they are the velocity vector, with two components (one or both may be zero, of course).

Last edited:

1. What is a velocity vector?

A velocity vector is a mathematical representation of the speed and direction of an object's motion. It is typically represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the velocity and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of motion.

2. How does a velocity vector affect momentum?

The velocity vector plays a crucial role in determining an object's momentum. The magnitude of the velocity vector directly affects the magnitude of the object's momentum, while the direction of the velocity vector determines the direction of the object's momentum.

3. Can velocity vectors be in different directions for momentum?

Yes, velocity vectors can be in different directions for momentum. Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. Therefore, an object's momentum can change if the direction of its velocity vector changes, even if the magnitude of the velocity remains constant.

4. How do you calculate momentum with velocity vectors in different directions?

To calculate momentum with velocity vectors in different directions, you can use the formula p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. However, if the object has multiple velocity vectors acting on it, you must use vector addition to determine the resulting momentum.

5. What happens to momentum when velocity vectors are in opposite directions?

When velocity vectors are in opposite directions, the resulting momentum will be in the direction of the larger velocity vector. This is because the momentum of the object is determined by the combination of all velocity vectors acting on it, with the larger velocity vector having a greater impact on the object's overall momentum.