Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verify the depth and size of existing caissons

1. Aug 28, 2007 #1
    How can I verify the depth and size of existing caissons(assumed 100' deep) under 6 feet of concrete slab

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Aug 28, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

5. Aug 28, 2007 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

That's pretty much it - either bore through it, or excavate or bore through the ground beside it.

One could possibly use low frequency acoustics - le.g. seismic analysis - used in the oil industry for well-logging and characterization of subsurface strata.

GPR doesn't penetrate far enough for 100'.

Can one find the original drawings?

Are the caissons constructed of wooden or steel cribs under the concrete cap? Were the caissons backfilled?

6. Aug 28, 2007 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks - it's a clever application of a very simple idea.
    Hope nobody minds the advertising! (I only work for the company - I don't own it.)

7. Aug 29, 2007 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

100' is a long way down plus the 6' of concrete slab on top of it (that is one seriously thick pour!). I agree with Astronuc that the acoustic route may be your only bet short of finding the original drawings or pulling one out of the ground.

8. Aug 29, 2007 #7
    thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?