Verify the equation of integration

In summary, the value of ##x_0## is -1 and the value of ##y_0## is -2 for the given integral according to the formula of Mean Value of Harmonic function. These values are found by using polar coordinates and finding the smallest values for ##x-x_0## and ##y-y_0##.
yungman
I want to verify the the value of ##x_0## and ##y_0## of the given integral according to the formula of Mean Value of Harmonic function
[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi} \cos(1+\cos t)\cosh(2+\sin t)\;dt[/tex]Mean Value of Harmonic function on a disk ##\Omega## given:
[tex]u(x_0,y_0)=\frac {1}{2\pi}\int_{\Omega}u[(x-x_0),(y-y_0)] d\Omega[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\;u[(x-x_0),(y-y_0)]=\cos(1+\cos t)\cosh(2+\sin t)[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\;(x-x_0)=1+\cos t,\;(y-y_0)=2+\sin t[/tex]
Using Polar coordinates, ##x=r\cos t,\;y=r\sin t## where ##r=1## in this case.
[tex](x-x_0)=1+\cos t\;\Rightarrow\; x_0=-1\;\hbox{ and }\;(y-y_0)=2+\sin t\;\Rightarrow\;y_0=-2[/tex]

Am I correct?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know this subject but the smallest |x - x_0| is when t = ##π \over 2##, then x = x_0, so x_0 = -1, x = - cos(t). And for t = 3/4 π, |y - y_0| = 1 is the smallest, so I think, when y = -1, y - y_0 = 1, so y_0 = -2, y = sin(t). So I agree with your calculations. x - x_0 is a sum of two terms, one independent of t and one dependent, and the same goes for y - y_0, so I think this must be right.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, it's a strange question.

1. What is the purpose of verifying the equation of integration?

The purpose of verifying the equation of integration is to ensure that the integration process was performed correctly and that the resulting equation accurately represents the original function.

2. What are the steps involved in verifying the equation of integration?

The steps involved in verifying the equation of integration include:

1. Substituting the solution into the original integration equation to see if it satisfies the equation.
  2. Taking the derivative of the solution to see if it matches the original function.
  3. Checking for any potential errors or mistakes made during the integration process.

3. How do I know if the equation of integration is correct?

If the equation satisfies the original integration equation and the derivative of the solution matches the original function, then the equation of integration is likely correct. However, it is always important to double check for any potential errors or mistakes made during the integration process.

4. Can I use different methods of integration to verify the same equation?

Yes, different methods of integration may result in different equations, but they should all be equivalent. Therefore, you can use different methods to verify the same equation and ensure its correctness.

5. What should I do if I find a mistake in the equation of integration?

If you find a mistake in the equation of integration, you should go back and review your integration process to identify where the mistake was made. Once you have identified the error, you can correct it and verify the equation again to ensure its accuracy.