Verify whether eigenfunction or not?

This means that the particle has a range of possible momenta, and therefore cannot be an eigenfunction of the momentum operator. In summary, the wavefunction described for a particle moving inside a one dimensional box of length L is not an eigenfunction of the x-component of the momentum operator. This can be seen by rewriting the sine function in terms of complex exponentials and observing that the wavefunction is a superposition of two momentum eigenstates, indicating a range of possible momenta.
Reshma
The wavefunction of a particle moving inside a one dimensional box of length L is non-zero only for 0<x<L.
The normalised wavefunction is given by:
[tex]\psi (x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\sin \frac{n\pi x}{L}[/tex]
Is this wavefunction an eigenfunction of the x-component of the momentum operator [itex]\vec p = -i\hbar \vec \nabla[/itex]

My work:
I computed the partial derivative of [itex]\psi[/tex] with respect to 'x'. I got:
[tex]\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\left(\frac{n\pi}{L}\right)\cos \frac{n\pi x}{L}[/tex]
I don't think it is an eigenfunction of the operator but I don't know how to justify my answer. Help needed...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what is the definition of an eigenfunction? Does this fit the definition? Since your operator involves an i you might want to put the function in complex form:
[tex]sin(\frac{n\pic x}{L})= \frac{e^{\frac{n\pi x}{L}}- e^{-\frac{n\pi x}{L}}}{2}[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:
The function should return from the operator exactly as is, except for a multiplicative scaling factor. It does not in this case.

Well there you go, it's not an eigenfunction then. And you should not expect it to be an eigenfunction, because that wavefunction represents a particle which could either be traveling to the right or to the left.

If you rewrite the sine function in terms of complex exponentials as HallsofIvy suggested, you will see explicitly that your wavefunction is a superposition of two momentum eigenstates.

1. What is an eigenfunction?

An eigenfunction is a mathematical function that, when operated on by a linear operator, yields a constant multiple of the original function. In simpler terms, it is a special type of function that remains unchanged except for a scaling factor when acted upon by a specific operator.

2. How do I verify whether a function is an eigenfunction or not?

To verify whether a function is an eigenfunction or not, you need to apply the linear operator to the function and see if the resulting function is a constant multiple of the original function. If it is, then the function is an eigenfunction.

3. What is a linear operator?

A linear operator is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another, while preserving the basic structure of the original space. In simpler terms, it is a function that takes in a mathematical object and outputs a different but related mathematical object.

4. Can a function be an eigenfunction for more than one linear operator?

Yes, a function can be an eigenfunction for multiple linear operators. This is because different operators may have different effects on the same function, resulting in different scaling factors.

5. What are some real-life applications of eigenfunctions?

Eigenfunctions have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are commonly used to describe the behavior of systems in quantum mechanics, image and signal processing, and vibration analysis. They also play a crucial role in solving differential equations, which are used to model many physical phenomena.