Verifying the Equality for n = 2: Is the Equation Correct?

• MHB
  • Thread starter tmt1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about an equality involving exponents and factorials, and the speaker is unsure if it is correct or how to verify it. They have tried multiple approaches, but none have been successful. The correct version of the equality is $\frac{2^n}{n!} + 1 = \frac{{2}^{n + 1}}{(n + 1)!}$ and it can only have solutions for certain values of n, not all. The speaker suggests graphing the equation to see the limited number of solutions. Further discussion involves trying to verify the equality for specific values of n.
tmt1
I have this equality

$$\frac{2^n}{n!} + 1 = \frac{{2}^{n + 1}}{n + 1}$$

and I'm not sure if it is correct or how to verify if it is correct. I've tried a few different approaches that have led to dead ends.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
I have this equality

and I'm not sure if it is correct or how to verify if it is correct. I've tried a few different approaches that have led to dead ends.
n = 1
\(\displaystyle \frac{2^1}{1!} + 1 = \frac{2}{1} + 1 = 2 + 1 = 3\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{2^{1 + 1}}{1 + 1} = \frac{2^2}{2} = \frac{4}{2} = 2\)

So the equation can only have solutions for certain n, not all.

Graphing it we can see that the equation has only two solutions close to, but not equal to 1. See below.

Graph

-Dan

tmt said:
I have this equality

Sorry, I meant to write

$$\frac{2^n}{n!} + 1 = \frac{{2}^{n + 1}}{(n + 1)!}$$

Does this make more sense? I'm trying a bunch of ways to verify it, but none of it works.

tmt said:
Sorry, I meant to write

$$\frac{2^n}{n!} + 1 = \frac{{2}^{n + 1}}{(n + 1)!}$$

Does this make more sense? I'm trying a bunch of ways to verify it, but none of it works.
n = 2

\(\displaystyle \frac{2^2}{2!} + 1 = \frac{4}{2} + 1 = 2 + 1 = 3\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{2^{2 + 1}}{(2 + 1)!} = \frac{2^3}{3!} = \frac{8}{6} = \frac{4}{3}\)

You really need to check these before you post them. (n = 1 doesn't work either. I chose n = 2 for variety.)

-Dan

1. What does it mean for an equation to be equal?

Equality of an equation means that the two sides of the equation have the same value. This means that if you solve the equation, you will get the same numerical value on both sides.

2. How do you determine if two equations are equal?

To determine if two equations are equal, you can solve both equations and compare the solutions. If the solutions are the same, then the equations are equal. Alternatively, you can use algebraic properties to manipulate the equations and show that they are equivalent.

3. What is the difference between equality and equivalence of an equation?

Equality of an equation refers to the numerical values on both sides being equal, while equivalence refers to the mathematical properties or operations being the same on both sides. For example, 2x = x + x is an equivalent equation because the same operations are being performed on both sides.

4. Can an equation ever be unequal?

Technically, an equation can be unequal if the two sides have different values. However, in mathematics, we use equations to show that two expressions are equal, so we typically strive for equality when solving equations.

5. Why is equality important in mathematics?

Equality is a fundamental concept in mathematics. It allows us to compare and equate different quantities and expressions. It also allows us to manipulate equations and solve for unknown variables. Without equality, many mathematical concepts and operations would not be possible.