Vertex of Parabola: Find y^2-12=12x Solution

In summary, the conversation was about finding the vertex of a parabola with the equation y^2-12=12x. The person initially tried to find the vertex by taking the derivative and setting it to zero, but then realized that the parabola was not in standard form. They asked for a hint and eventually figured out that the vertex is located at (-1,0). The conversation ended with a reminder to show attempts in future posts.
Sarah Kenney

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the vertex of this parabola: y^2-12=12x

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially I tried to take the derivative and find the vertex by finding where it the function is zero, but apparently that does not work in this situation. Is it because it is not in standard form? I've been staring at this problem for hours. I need a hint.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sarah Kenney said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the vertex of this parabola: y^2-12=12x

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially I tried to take the derivative and find the vertex by finding where it the function is zero, but apparently that does not work in this situation. Is it because it is not in standard form? I've been staring at this problem for hours. I need a hint.

Thanks.
You could have made a sketch of this equation in about 5 minutes and figured out where the vertex is located.

Remember, since the parabola is in y2, setting dy/dx = 0 isn't going to work for finding the vertex.

Ok, so I figured it out.
It's:
y^2=12x+12
y^2=12(x+1)
x=-1
So y= 0
I don't know why that took me so long. Math brain.
Thanks.

Sarah Kenney said:
Ok, so I figured it out.
It's:
y^2=12x+12
y^2=12(x+1)
x=-1
So y= 0
I don't know why that took me so long. Math brain.
Thanks.
In future posts, please show what you have tried, rather than describe it.

1. What is a vertex of a parabola?

The vertex of a parabola is the point where the parabola changes direction. It is the highest or lowest point on the parabola, depending on whether the parabola opens upward or downward.

2. How do you find the vertex of a parabola from the given equation?

To find the vertex of a parabola from the given equation, we can use the formula h = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the x^2 and x terms, respectively. In the equation y^2-12=12x, a=12 and b=0. Therefore, the vertex is (0,0).

3. What does the y^2-12=12x solution represent?

The y^2-12=12x solution represents the set of points that satisfy the equation and form a parabola. It is the graph of a parabola with a vertex at (0,0) and a focus at (6,0).

4. How can I graph the parabola represented by the y^2-12=12x solution?

To graph the parabola, you can plot the vertex, which is (0,0), and two other points on the parabola. These points can be found by substituting different values for x into the equation. Then, connect the points to form a smooth curve.

5. Can the vertex of a parabola be located at a negative point?

Yes, the vertex of a parabola can be located at a negative point. In fact, the vertex can be located at any point on the coordinate plane, depending on the equation of the parabola.