Find Value of p for g(x) to Avoid Vertical Asymptote

In summary, the value of p that will ensure that the function g(x) = (3x + p) / (x^3 + 8) does not have a vertical asymptote is p = 6. This can be achieved by making sure that the numerator also goes to 0 at x = -2, resulting in a curve with a "hole" at (-3, 3/7).
teffy3001
its asking me to find the value of p so that the function won't have a vertical asymptote:

g(x) = (3x + p) / (x^3 + 8)

however, I'm not sure how to figure that out...any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
For what value of x is the vertical asymptote? What value should the numerator take there to get rid of it?

Do you understand what a " vertical asymptote" IS and why a graph of this function might have one? Answering this will involve factoring the denominator.

after i factor the denominator though...where do i go from there?

What values of x would make the entire denominator be equal to zero??

and hence make the function tend to infinity?

i know if i set x equal to 2 that the denominator will equal 0 but then the point is not to have a vertical asymptote so how do i find the value of p?

If the numerator is zero at x=2, then you might not have a vertical asymptote.

Dick said:
If the numerator is zero at x=2, then you might not have a vertical asymptote.

WHAT?
Look at the denominator. If x=-2, then x^3 + 8 = 0. The denominator makes the function undefined at x=-2, so this is the vertical asymtote.

symbolipoint said:
WHAT?
Look at the denominator. If x=-2, then x^3 + 8 = 0. The denominator makes the function undefined at x=-2, so this is the vertical asymtote.

Sure. Sorry. x=-2. I was only looking at the OP's last post.

You still might not have a vertical asymptote at x= -2!

Yes, at x= -2, the denominator goes to 0. As long as the numerator has a non-zero value at x= -2, there is a vertical asymptote there. Now, what value of p will guarantee that x= -2 is NOT a vertical asymptote?

Say you had a number set 1-10. X can equal any of these numbers other than 5, how would you show that?

Hint: <,>

Charlie_russo said:
Say you had a number set 1-10. X can equal any of these numbers other than 5, how would you show that?

Hint: <,>
Since the only possible vertical asymptote would be at x= -2, I have no idea what that has to do with this problem!

teffy3001 said:
its asking me to find the value of p so that the function won't have a vertical asymptote:

g(x) = (3x + p) / (x^3 + 8)

however, I'm not sure how to figure that out...any help?

You want p to have a value? If p were to contain a factor of x^2 or higher power, then g(x) would have a slant asymtote; but that seems not exactly to be what you ask.

HallsofIvy - help us here maybe, since we seem to not be so advanced. What are we missing?

symbolipoint said:
You want p to have a value? If p were to contain a factor of x^2 or higher power, then g(x) would have a slant asymtote; but that seems not exactly to be what you ask.

HallsofIvy - help us here maybe, since we seem to not be so advanced. What are we missing?

p=(-6)?

Not quite, Dick, you've lost track of sign somewhere.

At x= -2, the denominator, [itex]x^3+ 2[/itex] is equal to 0. Obviously, as I said above, as long as the numerator is not also 0, the value of the function goes to infinity as we approach x= -2: a vertical asymptote. The only way not to have a vertical asymptote is to make sure the numerator also goes to 0 at x= -2: that 3x+ p= 3(-2)+ p= -6+ p= 0 or p= 6. If p= 6, then
[tex]\frac{3x+ 6}{x^3+ 8}= \frac{3(x+ 2)}{(x+ 2)(x^2- 2x+ 4)}= \frac{3}{x^2- 2x+ 4}[/tex]
Rather than a vertical asymptote, we have a curve with a "hole" at (-3, 3/7).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Find Value of p for g(x) to Avoid Vertical Asymptote

What is a vertical asymptote?

A vertical asymptote is a vertical line on a graph where the function approaches infinity or negative infinity. It represents a value that the function cannot reach.

Why is it important to avoid vertical asymptotes?

Vertical asymptotes can make a function undefined at certain points, leading to incorrect calculations and misleading interpretations of the data. It is important to avoid them in order to accurately analyze the function and make meaningful conclusions.

How do I find the value of p for g(x) to avoid vertical asymptotes?

To find the value of p for g(x) to avoid vertical asymptotes, you need to set the denominator of the function equal to zero and solve for x. The resulting value of x will be the value of p that should be avoided to prevent vertical asymptotes.

Can I have more than one value of p to avoid vertical asymptotes?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple values of p that should be avoided to prevent vertical asymptotes. This can occur when the function has multiple vertical asymptotes or when there are other restrictions on the function that require avoiding certain values of p.

What are some methods for avoiding vertical asymptotes?

Some methods for avoiding vertical asymptotes include simplifying the function, finding the domain restrictions, and using limits to determine the behavior of the function near the vertical asymptote. In some cases, it may also be possible to adjust the function or choose a different representation to avoid vertical asymptotes.