1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertical asymptote

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    its asking me to find the value of p so that the function won't have a vertical asymptote:

g(x) = (3x + p) / (x^3 + 8)

however, i'm not sure how to figure that out...any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2
    For what value of x is the vertical asymptote? What value should the numerator take there to get rid of it?

4. Sep 25, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you understand what a " vertical asymptote" IS and why a graph of this function might have one? Answering this will involve factoring the denominator.

5. Sep 25, 2007 #4
    after i factor the denominator though...where do i go from there?

6. Sep 25, 2007 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

What values of x would make the entire denominator be equal to zero??

and hence make the function tend to infinity?

7. Feb 29, 2008 #6
    i know if i set x equal to 2 that the denominator will equal 0 but then the point is not to have a vertical asymptote so how do i find the value of p?

8. Feb 29, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the numerator is zero at x=2, then you might not have a vertical asymptote.

9. Feb 29, 2008 #8

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

WHAT?
    Look at the denominator. If x=-2, then x^3 + 8 = 0. The denominator makes the function undefined at x=-2, so this is the vertical asymtote.

10. Feb 29, 2008 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. Sorry. x=-2. I was only looking at the OP's last post.

11. Feb 29, 2008 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You still might not have a vertical asymptote at x= -2!

Yes, at x= -2, the denominator goes to 0. As long as the numerator has a non-zero value at x= -2, there is a vertical asymptote there. Now, what value of p will guarentee that x= -2 is NOT a vertical asymptote?

12. Mar 1, 2008 #11
    Say you had a number set 1-10. X can equal any of these numbers other than 5, how would you show that?

Hint: <,>

13. Mar 1, 2008 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since the only possible vertical asymptote would be at x= -2, I have no idea what that has to do with this problem!

14. Mar 1, 2008 #13

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You want p to have a value? If p were to contain a factor of x^2 or higher power, then g(x) would have a slant asymtote; but that seems not exactly to be what you ask.

HallsofIvy - help us here maybe, since we seem to not be so advanced. What are we missing?

15. Mar 1, 2008 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

p=(-6)?

16. Mar 1, 2008 #15

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not quite, Dick, you've lost track of sign somewhere.

At x= -2, the denominator, [itex]x^3+ 2[/itex] is equal to 0. Obviously, as I said above, as long as the numerator is not also 0, the value of the function goes to infinity as we approach x= -2: a vertical asymptote. The only way not to have a vertical asymptote is to make sure the numerator also goes to 0 at x= -2: that 3x+ p= 3(-2)+ p= -6+ p= 0 or p= 6. If p= 6, then
    [tex]\frac{3x+ 6}{x^3+ 8}= \frac{3(x+ 2)}{(x+ 2)(x^2- 2x+ 4)}= \frac{3}{x^2- 2x+ 4}[/tex]
    Rather than a vertical asymptote, we have a curve with a "hole" at (-3, 3/7).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?