Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertical Axis Wind Turbine Design Questions

1. Nov 11, 2011 #1
    Hello All,

I'm currently in the process of designing a numerical model for a vertical axis wind turbine, more specifically, a straight blade giromill. I'm currently having trouble because depending on the variables I choose, I can produce more power than available from the wind.

My Calculations are based off the following diagrams:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/selection002y.png/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/selection003r.png/

I can post the code (MATLAB), but I'm sure no one wants to sift through that, but here's my design methodology:

User Defined Variables:
    Airfoil (NACA00XX)
    Wind Speed, [itex]U[/itex]
    Tip Speed Ratio, [itex]\lambda[/itex]
    Chord, [itex]c[/itex]
    Radius, [itex]R[/itex]
    Number of Blades, [itex]N[/itex]
    Change in Azimuthal Position, [itex]d\theta[/itex]
    Swept Area, [itex]A[/itex]

From these variables, I have a loop that iterates [itex]\theta[/itex], the azimuthal position, and calculated the following variables each time:

Chord Velocity
    [itex]V_c=U(\lambda+\cos(\theta)[/itex]

Normal Velocity
    [itex]V_n=U\sin(\theta)[/itex]

Angle of Attack
    [itex]\alpha=\arctan\left(\frac{V_n}{V_c}\right)[/itex]

Relative Wind Speed
    [itex]W=\sqrt{V_c^2+V_n^2}[/itex]

Coefficient of Lift and Drag
    Calculated using XFoil

Tangential Force Coefficient
    [itex]C_t=C_l\sin(\alpha)-C_d\cos(\alpha)[/itex]

Normal Force Coefficient
    [itex]C_n=C_l\cos(\alpha)+C_d\sin(\alpha)[/itex]

Tangential Force
    [itex]F_t=\frac{C_t \rho c h W^2}{2}[/itex]

Normal Force
    [itex]F_n=\frac{C_n \rho c h W^2}{2}[/itex]

As I said, the above variables are calculated for every [itex]\theta_i[/itex]. Once the loop is finished, the following variables are calculated:

Average Tangential Force
    [itex]\bar{F}_t=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{i=0}^{2\pi} F_t(\theta) \mathrm{d}\theta[/itex]
    Numerical Approximation
    [itex]\bar{F}_t=\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n F_t[/itex]

Total Torque
    [itex]T=N\bar{F}_tR[/itex]

Total Power
    [itex]P=T\omega[/itex]

I have checked the numbers individually, and my [itex]\alpha[/itex]'s range from [itex]0-13^{\circ}[/itex], [itex]C_l[/itex] and [itex]C_d[/itex] range from [itex]-1.8-1.8[/itex], [itex]C_t[/itex] from [itex]0-0.34[/itex], and [itex]C_n[/itex] from [itex]0-1.22[/itex].

For some reason, if I choose parameters such as:

NACA0015
    [itex]U=4.5\,m/s[/itex]
    [itex]\lambda=5[/itex]
    [itex]c=0.5\,m[/itex]
    [itex]R=1.0\,m[/itex]
    [itex]h=10\,m[/itex]
    [itex]N=3[/itex]

I get a power output of:
    [itex]P=10\,kW[/itex]

However, I don't believe I should be getting more than:
    [itex]P_{max}=\frac{\rho AU^3}{2}[/itex]

Can someone please help me? I'm pulling my hair out here. If the code would actually help, let me know and I can try and post it.

Thanks So Much.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2011 #2
    I am unfamiliar with this type of device. Could you post a picture of what you are working on? What is the tip speed ratio and swept area?

I do have a question about your use of xfoil. In order to get a Cd I assume you are running it in viscous mode. What Reynolds number are you inputting? Because if your Reynolds number is really low, which I imagine it will be at least during part of the rotation cycle if U=4.5m/s, then Xfoil will likely have problems at the high angles of attack.

4. Nov 12, 2011 #3
    Certainly, here is a picture of the general idea:
    http://www.manufacturer.com/upload/product/6414997/Vertical+Axis+Wind+Turbine+Generator_0_detail.jpg [Broken]. The swept area has been fixed at [itex]A=20\,m^2[/itex]. I need to optimize the dimensions given this area.

As I mentioned, I don't think my AoA is too high, it maxes out at about [itex]\alpha=13^{\circ}[/itex] (depending on the Tip Speed Ratio). Does this seem too high for low Reynolds?

I've been using Tip Speed Ratios of [itex]\lambda=3[/itex] to [itex]\lambda=5[/itex] for initial testing. This results in relative velocities of [itex]W=9[/itex] to [itex]W=18[/itex] when [itex]\lambda=3[/itex], and [itex]W=18[/itex] to [itex]W=27[/itex] when [itex]\lambda=5[/itex].

My Reynolds number [itex]\left(Re=\frac{Wc}{\nu}\right)[/itex] for [itex]\lambda=3[/itex] ranges from [itex]Re=5.1e5[/itex] to [itex]Re=7.6e5[/itex].

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook