Understanding Centre of Mass for High School Graduates

• Thread starter tomz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the coordinate of the centre of mass can be found by dividing the moment of a certain axis by the mass of the object.
tomz
I have just finished high school. When I read Paul's note (an online math book), in the section of centre of mass, it says the coordinate of the centre of mass in any axis can be found by divide the moment of that axis by the mass..Then it gives this weird formula for calculating y coordinate of the CM.

y=Mx/M=(1/2)∫(f(x)^2)dx from a to b, where f(x) is a curve, the region of uniform density is bound by f(x) from a to b, x axis, x=a and x=b. I used to see a very standard formula that I can understand, that is y=∫(g(x)^2)dy from c to d, where g(x) is the inverse function of f(x) and c,d are ends of y value.

I know moment of inertia, but i don't know why the formula given by the book will work as well, in a mathematical way, i try to associate this with the equivalence of the 2 ways of integration, shell's method and disk method, that may work, But I cannot understand this in a physical way...

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you have confused some formulas:

centre of mass: [itex] x_c=\frac{\int \int x dxdy}{\int \int dxdy}=\frac{\int \int x dxdy}{Area}[/itex]

second moment of area: [itex]I_{xx}=\int \int y^2 dxdy[/itex]

moment of inertia: [itex]I=\int r^2 dm[/itex]

Try each of them in basic shapes where you already know the answer and then you can convince yourself of why they work. Keep in mind that by definition the moment of inertia is [itex]I=r^2 m[/itex]

meldraft said:
I think that you have confused some formulas:

centre of mass: [itex] x_c=\frac{\int \int x dxdy}{\int \int dxdy}=\frac{\int \int x dxdy}{Area}[/itex]

second moment of area: [itex]I_{xx}=\int \int y^2 dxdy[/itex]

moment of inertia: [itex]I=\int r^2 dm[/itex]

Try each of them in basic shapes where you already know the answer and then you can convince yourself of why they work. Keep in mind that by definition the moment of inertia is [itex]I=r^2 m[/itex]

Got it, thanks~

Related to Understanding Centre of Mass for High School Graduates

1. What is the definition of mechanics?

Mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior of physical bodies when subjected to forces or displacements, and the subsequent effects of these bodies on their environment.

2. What are the three laws of motion in mechanics?

The three laws of motion, also known as Newton's Laws, are fundamental principles in mechanics. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. What is the difference between statics and dynamics in mechanics?

Statics deals with the study of objects in equilibrium, meaning that they are either at rest or moving at a constant velocity. Dynamics, on the other hand, deals with the study of objects in motion and the forces that cause this motion.

4. What is the importance of mechanics in everyday life?

Mechanics is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in our daily lives. It helps us understand how things move and interact with each other, from the motion of cars and airplanes to the functioning of our own bodies. It also plays a critical role in the design and development of various technologies and machines.

5. What is the SI unit for force in mechanics?

The SI unit for force is the Newton (N). One Newton is equal to the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram by one meter per second squared.