Is the Original Figure Considered a Shape in This Puzzle?

In summary: Maybe, maybe not. If it's not a shape, then what is it?There are many slight variations on each other.In addition, many have flipped pieces; I was trying to solve by only rotating them (which is the more elegant solution, in my opinion).
jjs789
Draw a picture showing four identical shapes where each shape has at least one border with the other three. Your picture should be a single two-dimensional shape containing no gaps or holes.

Tried many shape combinations irregular and regular. We got given a hint of not to think or draw shapes because you will not get the answer. Now even more confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have 4 figures and 3 of them have one common side with a central figure, how many sides does the central figure have to have? Since the figures are identical, the other ones would have the same number of sides. How would you arrange them?

EDIT:

I just saw that every figure has to have a common side with ALL the other ones. I believe this is impossible on a plane, but I cannot prove it right now.

The shapes have to be the same size cannot be scaled, but they can be rotated. We think its probably an irregular shape but still no success so far

jjs789 said:
The shapes have to be the same size cannot be scaled, but they can be rotated. We think its probably an irregular shape but still no success so far

Hint -- use technology to help you solve this. Google the first few words of your post, and look through the first few hits...

Pretty clever solution, actually. I don't think I would have figured it out without Google. BTW, you should probably attribute Google when you hand in your solution...

I'd love to see the answer to this. I've gone through what seems like reams of paper trying to come up with a solution. I finally "gave in" and consulted the all-mighty Google, but to no avail. I can find very few answers, all of which are incorrect. Can you post a link, or perhaps send it to me via IM?

zgozvrm said:
I'd love to see the answer to this. I've gone through what seems like reams of paper trying to come up with a solution. I finally "gave in" and consulted the all-mighty Google, but to no avail. I can find very few answers, all of which are incorrect. Can you post a link, or perhaps send it to me via IM?

Hmm. I went back to the one that I thought solved the question, and it does turn out to be incorrect. Figure 2 under Geometry here:

http://members.cox.net/mathmistakes/puzzles.htm

The inverted 4th figure is what I though was clever, but the end pieces do not share a border. Will try Google some more...

Last edited by a moderator:
zgozvrm said:

I think I might be close. I'll PM you my idea...

A sets of shapes on this page: http://karl.kiwi.gen.nz/prtetrad.html"

a bit below the middle of the page, is the best I could find on the internet.
It's nearly convex. Wether a convex shape is possible seems to be an open problem

willem2 said:
A sets of shapes on this page: http://karl.kiwi.gen.nz/prtetrad.html"

a bit below the middle of the page, is the best I could find on the internet.
It's nearly convex. Wether a convex shape is possible seems to be an open problem

Wow! I was pretty close to getting the figure at the top of the page! I didn't think there'd be so many possibilities, although I figured there were bound to be a few.

Many are slight variations on each other.

In addition, many have flipped pieces; I was trying to solve by only rotating them (which is the more elegant solution, in my opinion).

berkeman said:
I think I might be close. I'll PM you my idea...

This all really depends on what the exact definition of 'shape' is. Picture a square with a triangle sharing a vertex with the square sticking out of a corner. Now cut out a hole in the square corresponding to the triangle and glue four of them together. Is the original figure a 'shape'?

1. What is a "Very Hard shape problem"?

A "Very Hard shape problem" is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the most optimal shape or arrangement for a given set of conditions or constraints. These problems are typically complex and require advanced mathematical skills to solve.

2. How are "Very Hard shape problems" used in the scientific field?

"Very Hard shape problems" are commonly used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology. They can help researchers understand and design complex systems, optimize structures for efficiency, and model natural phenomena.

3. What are some examples of "Very Hard shape problems"?

Some examples of "Very Hard shape problems" include the traveling salesman problem, the knapsack problem, and the maximum flow problem. These problems have applications in logistics, resource allocation, and network optimization, among others.

4. How do scientists approach solving "Very Hard shape problems"?

Solving "Very Hard shape problems" often involves using a combination of mathematical techniques, such as linear programming, dynamic programming, and graph theory. Scientists may also use computer simulations and algorithms to find the most optimal solution.

5. What are the potential real-world applications of solving "Very Hard shape problems"?

The solutions to "Very Hard shape problems" can have a wide range of practical applications, from designing more efficient transportation routes to optimizing energy usage in buildings. They can also provide insights into natural systems and help improve our understanding of complex phenomena.