Can a telescope see cars and people 10 light-years away as they were 10 years ago?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
RandyD123
Messages
66
Reaction score
7
Lets suppose I had a very powerful telescope and I could see 10 light years away. Would I see cars and people on that planet as they were 10 years ago? Would I actually see the people moving and the cars moving on the ground?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't a relativity question. Physicists from 1700s (perhaps even earlier) would have told you yes, and yes*. This only depends on finite light speed.

*You might need to clear out dust from space and have an aperture much larger than the solar system, but whatever, that's fine for a thought experiment.

< Moderator Note -- thread is now moved from Relativity forum to General Physics >
 
Last edited: