VERY quick cross product question

In summary, the expression p X q - r involves evaluating q - r first and then performing the cross product, rather than the other way around. This is because multiplication and division are typically done before addition and subtraction, so the cross product takes precedence over the subtraction. Additionally, the X symbol in cross products affects both elements on either side of it, making it different from operators like del or differentiation.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

p X q - r

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to evaluate this expression, I must first evaluate q - r and then perform the cross product, right? I'm trying to think about X as an operator, like del, that operates on the things that appear after it. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think it's the other way around: that you do the cross product first, and then subtract. The only justification I can think of for doing it this way comes from arithmetic--that multiplication and division are to be done before addition and subtraction.

For example, the expression 2*4 - 3 = 8 - 3 = 5. I don't recall seeing this idea extended to vector cross products, though.

The symbol X used in cross products affects the two things on either side of it, not just what follows it, so for that reason it is different from the del operator or the differentiation operator.

Yes, I agree with Mark44. By the standard "precedence" of operations, [itex]p \times q- r[/itex] means [itex](p\times q)- r[/itex], not [itex]p\times (q- r)[/itex]

Same with del … ∇A - B ≠ ∇(A - B) :smile:

1. What is a cross product?

A cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the input vectors.

2. How does the cross product differ from the dot product?

The cross product and dot product are both ways to combine two vectors, but they have different results. The dot product results in a scalar value, while the cross product results in a vector.

3. What is the formula for calculating a cross product?

The formula for calculating a cross product is: a x b = |a| |b| sin(theta) n, where a and b are the two input vectors, |a| and |b| are their magnitudes, sin(theta) is the sine of the angle between the vectors, and n is the unit vector perpendicular to both a and b.

4. What is the purpose of the cross product in science?

The cross product has many applications in science, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate the torque of a rotating object, determine the direction of magnetic fields, and solve problems involving circular motion and forces.

5. How is the cross product used in computer graphics?

In computer graphics, the cross product is used to calculate the normal vector of a surface, which is important for shading and lighting effects. It is also used to determine the orientation of 3D objects and to perform transformations and rotations.