Very simple gravity/time/distance travelled problem

• Thread starter dkayuk
  • Start date

Homework Statement

This isn't really homework, because I'm not at school anymore (aged 42!) but I will describe as best as I can.

A small object like a droplet of water is released from a height (point A), falling on the surface (Point B) with initial speed 0. Distance between A and B, I will call d and obviously there's gravity (g) and time it takes for the droplet to fall from A to B, I will call t1. I know the equation so that given d is known, and so is gravity, then I can calculate time (t1).

Suppose that between points A and B, there's a point X. By the time the droplet has reached X is already has a certain speed. How do I calculate the time (t2) that it takes for the droplet to travel from X to the surface (B)?

Homework Equations

t1=square_root((2 * d)/g)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know (or at least I think I know) that I can't use the same equation to calculate t2 because the droplet already has a certain speed.

Apologies, if I'm not explaining this very well. I've not done any physics for 25 years and the reason I need this is because I'm doing high speed photography with falling objects.

thx

DK

Answers and Replies

If you know the distance AX, you can use the above equation to calculate the time for the droplet to reach point X, t[X]. As t[1] stays the same whether or not you add an extra reference point, simply substract t[X] from t[1] and you have your answer.

Hope this helps.