Very tricky Solar-Module Disconnecting Problem

In summary, your non-ee boss wants you to add a device to the mc4 connectors between modules which would allow disconnecting each module in a string from one another. He wants this added to our modules for safety reasons for fire fighters and installers. He wants it to be possible to achieve this from a switch down by the inverter, without the use of wifi/bluetooth and without using any more wires or any use of complex power electronics!Perhaps using latching relays, or using a modem to each module, would be the best solution. Either option would require additional wires.
Simon Hauser
My non-ee boss gave me a design assignment I'm not sure is physically possible. I work at a solar panel manufacturing company.

He wants me to essentially add a device to the mc4 connectors between modules which would allow disconnecting each module in a string from one another. He wants this added to our modules for safety reasons for fire fighters and installers. He wants it to be possible to achieve this from a switch down by the inverter, without the use of wifi/bluetooth and without using any more wires or any use of complex power electronics!

Seems as though relays wouldn't be possible, could there be some sort of AC fuse I could use? send the signal on the DC wires and pop the fuse? The problem is is that they are connected in series, so there would need to be some form of delay so the furthest from the AC signal generator would pop first and so on down the string... My boss doesn't want to hear "this is not possible" but I'm not sure it is with the constraints provided... any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Here is a one line diagram http://imgur.com/a4WYyXh

Engineering news on Phys.org
Simon Hauser said:
My non-ee boss gave me a design assignment I'm not sure is physically possible. I work at a solar panel manufacturing company.

He wants me to essentially add a device to the mc4 connectors between modules which would allow disconnecting each module in a string from one another. He wants this added to our modules for safety reasons for fire fighters and installers. He wants it to be possible to achieve this from a switch down by the inverter, without the use of wifi/bluetooth and without using any more wires or any use of complex power electronics!

Seems as though relays wouldn't be possible, could there be some sort of AC fuse I could use? send the signal on the DC wires and pop the fuse? The problem is is that they are connected in series, so there would need to be some form of delay so the furthest from the AC signal generator would pop first and so on down the string... My boss doesn't want to hear "this is not possible" but I'm not sure it is with the constraints provided... any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Here is a one line diagram http://imgur.com/a4WYyXh

Welcome to the PF.

You could use latching relays (so they don't draw power except when they are swtiched). It would take 2 extra wires to each relay, though. You could just use Cat-5 twisted pairs to run to the relays, and gather each pair down at the control panel to switch them On/Off...

What kind of cost constraints do you have for this project?

You could add a modem to each module. This would likely require a large inductor to isolate each panel from the bus as well as the modem device.
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sboa130a/sboa130a.pdf
This TI device with some modification could work. The line coupling and filter networks would need to be redesigned. Various current and voltage sensors would also be available to monitor the string.

Another idea would be to use some 555 timers to make pulse detectors. If the correct frequency pulses are seen then the panel is switched on. If the pulses are not detected then they would go offline. Any break in the line would indicate to the modules down the line that they should shut off. Disabling the signal generator would break the string completely. This idea would also probably need the inductors.

BoB

What is the "Very tricky Solar-Module Disconnecting Problem"?

The "Very tricky Solar-Module Disconnecting Problem" is a technical issue that arises when trying to disconnect solar modules from a solar power system. It can occur due to various reasons, such as faulty wiring, malfunctioning components, or improper installation.

Why is the "Very tricky Solar-Module Disconnecting Problem" considered tricky?

The "Very tricky Solar-Module Disconnecting Problem" is considered tricky because it can be challenging to diagnose and resolve. The issue may not be immediately apparent and may require extensive testing and troubleshooting to identify the root cause. Additionally, disconnecting solar modules can be dangerous if not done correctly, adding to the complexity of the problem.

What are the potential consequences of not addressing the "Very tricky Solar-Module Disconnecting Problem"?

If not resolved, the "Very tricky Solar-Module Disconnecting Problem" can lead to a range of consequences, such as decreased energy production, safety hazards, and system damage. It can also result in financial losses due to the need for repairs or replacements.

How can the "Very tricky Solar-Module Disconnecting Problem" be solved?

The solution to the "Very tricky Solar-Module Disconnecting Problem" depends on the specific cause of the issue. It may involve repairing or replacing faulty components, rewiring the system, or adjusting the installation. It is best to consult a professional solar technician to diagnose and resolve the problem accurately and safely.

Is there any way to prevent the "Very tricky Solar-Module Disconnecting Problem" from occurring?

While some causes of the "Very tricky Solar-Module Disconnecting Problem" may be unavoidable, there are steps you can take to prevent it from happening. Regular maintenance and inspections of your solar power system can catch any potential issues before they become major problems. It is also essential to have the system installed and maintained by qualified professionals to ensure proper functioning and safety.