1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vibrating uprigt cantilever beam

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1
    Suppose a cantilever beam stands uprigt, such as a tube attached to the floor in one end and free at the other end. Suppose then that a force is applied normal to the beam at some point along the beam causing a deflection. Then suppose that at t=0 the force disappears, and the intertia of the beam as its deflection diminishes causes an underdamped motion.

The question I cannot figure out is how to accurately determine a second order differential equation, which will describe deflection as a function of time.

All I have is the idea of assuming no damping, but then I end up with harmonic vibrations, which never change. That which I'm missing from my equation is a way to determine the damping constant or function in my second order differential equation, such that the damping force is proportional to the velocity of the beam at a given time, and is in opposite direction to the motion of the beam.

The beam is assumed to have uniform E and I.

How do I determine the damping effect theoretically?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted