Video-Error : Can it be fixed?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a video that was recorded using oCam and cannot be played due to an error message with code 0xc00d36c4. Suggestions are made to try opening the video with VLC-Player, checking for Windows updates, and using different media players. It is discovered that the most likely cause is a corrupted video file and attempts to recover it are unsuccessful.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I have a non-math-related question, it is about a video.
I have recorded a video using oCam. After that, when I wanted to see it, I got an error message with code 0xc00d36c4.
Then I read in Google than one possible way to solve this, is to open the video with VLC-Player, but it didn't work.
Do you maybe have an idea what I could do? Or can we not fix this anymore? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
Hey mathmari!

What kind of error does VLC report? (Wondering)

Have you recorded orher videos with oCam?
If so, can you play those? (Wondering)

Could you previously play the video?
If so, did anything else change? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
What kind of error does VLC report? (Wondering)

At VLC I don't get an error, it just doesn't start to play the video.

Should I get an error message also there? (Wondering)
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Have you recorded orher videos with oCam?
If so, can you play those? (Wondering)

Yes, normally after recording with oCam I can play the videos.
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Could you previously play the video?
If so, did anything else change? (Wondering)

No, I was unable to play this video from the beginning. (Sadface)

mathmari said:
At VLC I don't get an error, it just doesn't start to play the video.

Should I get an error message also there?

Not sure. I thought we got an error popup or something if there is a problem with the file.
Suppose we enable the status bar with the menu option View / Status Bar.
Does it show anything when you load the file, or when you click the play button? (Wondering)

More specifically, can you successfully load it?
Does it show media details? Such as under the menu Tools / Media Information? Or perpaps Tools / Codec Information?
Or just that the video has a duration?
What happens exactly if you click the play button? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Yes, normally after recording with oCam I can play the videos.

No, I was unable to play this video from the beginning.

I found:

Cause of Error 0xc00d36c4

Apart from new Windows updates, several other reasons may cause “Error 0xc00d36c4”. Some of them are:
1. Media player doesn’t support the existing file format.
2. Wrong Codec.
3. Video file has turned corrupt.

Additionally I found:
Windows Media Player by default copy protects the media files it burns, making them impossible to open in other media/music players.​

It seems the first two options are not applicable since it worked before with other files.
Or did you perhaps change any oCam settings or some such, perhaps accidentally?
If you record a new video with oCam, can you play it? (Wondering)

Did you have a recent Windows update? (Wondering)
Do you use Windows Media Player?
Can it be that some kind of copy protection was activated, which Media Player seems to do by default when burning to a disk?
Does the file have a 'normal' size? That is, similar to the size of other videos that you have recorded?

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Not sure. I thought we got an error popup or something if there is a problem with the file.
Suppose we enable the status bar with the menu option View / Status Bar.
Does it show anything when you load the file, or when you click the play button? (Wondering)

More specifically, can you successfully load it?
Does it show media details? Such as under the menu Tools / Media Information? Or perpaps Tools / Codec Information?
Or just that the video has a duration?
What happens exactly if you click the play button? (Wondering)

When I try to open the video via VLC-Player, it doesn't show anything (if I do everything correctly), even not the duration. (Wondering)
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Or did you perhaps change any oCam settings or some such, perhaps accidentally?
If you record a new video with oCam, can you play it? (Wondering)

I didn't change anything at the oCam settings. I tried now and I record a video and I could sucessfully open it.
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Did you have a recent Windows update? (Wondering)

At the day when I recorded that video, I had a Windows update, I think after recording it. Maybe it is related to that. What do you think? (Wondering)
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Do you use Windows Media Player?

Normally I use an other program that is called "Films&TV" but I tried to open it also with Windows Media Player.
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Can it be that some kind of copy protection was activated, which Media Player seems to do by default when burning to a disk?

That is the case if we have burned the video to a disk, or what is it meant? (Wondering)
If it is like that, I haven't burned it to a disk.
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Does the file have a 'normal' size? That is, similar to the size of other videos that you have recorded?

This video has size 216 MB, it is similar to the size of other videos that I have recorded.

mathmari said:
I didn't change anything at the oCam settings. I tried now and I record a video and I could sucessfully open it.

At the day when I recorded that video, I had a Windows update, I think after recording it. Maybe it is related to that. What do you think?

It's probably unrelated since you can still record new videos and play them.

It looks to me that the most likely cause is that the video file has been corrupted then.
Perhaps we can find a tool that can recover as much of the video as possible. (Thinking)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
It's probably unrelated since you can still record new videos and play them.

It looks to me that the most likely cause is that the video file has been corrupted then.
Perhaps we can find a tool that can recover as much of the video as possible. (Thinking)

So is it not possible to recover it totally? (Wondering)

Do you know such a tool? I have tried already "File Repair" and "Remo Repair MOV" but it couldn't be recovered. (Sadface)

mathmari said:
So is it not possible to recover it totally?

Do you know such a tool? I have tried already "File Repair" and "Remo Repair MOV" but it couldn't be recovered.

I found a unix untrunc tool that can rebuild a corrupted video file based on a similar file.
Perhaps that will work. (Thinking)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
I found a unix untrunc tool that can rebuild a corrupted video file based on a similar file.
Perhaps that will work. (Thinking)

Thank you so much for your help! (Handshake) (Mmm) (Blush)

What causes a video error?

A video error can be caused by a variety of factors, including corrupted video files, outdated video players, or issues with the video codec. It can also occur due to hardware or software problems on the device playing the video.

Can a video error be fixed?

Yes, in most cases, a video error can be fixed. The specific solution will depend on the cause of the error. Some common methods for fixing video errors include updating the video player or codec, repairing or converting the video file, or troubleshooting any hardware or software issues on the device.

How do I fix a video error on my computer?

To fix a video error on your computer, you can try updating your video player or codec, restarting your computer, or checking for any hardware or software issues. You can also try repairing or converting the video file using a video repair software or converter.

What should I do if a video error occurs while streaming?

If a video error occurs while streaming, you can try refreshing the webpage, restarting your device, or clearing your browser's cache. If the error persists, it may be due to an issue with the streaming service or your internet connection.

Is it possible to prevent video errors?

While it is not always possible to prevent video errors, there are some steps you can take to reduce the likelihood of experiencing them. These include keeping your video players and codecs updated, using reputable video streaming services, and regularly backing up important video files.