Create Video Tutorials: PF Library Expansion

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about whether or not to create short video tutorials on select topics, and the conclusion was that it would be a good idea, but that it would be easier to do so if there was quality control over the videos.
WiFO215
With the success of videos on physics such as those on YouTube, I was wondering whether we ought to try and create short video tutorials on select topics.
a) We can draw on the vast pool of talent in PF
b) We can organize among ourselves better than those on YouTube; many of the topics are repeated (basic set theory; basic topology; classical mechanics) whereas some of the harder topics are left out altogether. (Quantum optics, information theory; Cosmology..)

These videos needn't be too long - maybe 10 min videos will be nice. Seeing that we already have a PF library for such a purpose, I thought it might be interesting to expand along this direction. It needn't necessarily be course related either. It could be a set of talks on a given topic which are interesting and outside the scope of the classroom which you can tackle once you know the basics. We could organize these into playlists.

Let me know what you guys think.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a great idea and one I've always supported, however, with the massive resource that is Khan Academy, why bother?

Last edited:
I have a better idea. Maybe Greg could find a way to allow users to embed a YouTube video. He could even make it so that I can easily upload a video to YouTube by clicking a button labeled "Upload Video." This button would load YouTube's video uploader in a new window. Then, when my video is uploaded, the window automatically closes and the embed code is placed in the post.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's as great idea and one I've always supported, however, with the massive resource that is Khan Academy, why bother?

Well, resources such as KhanAcad follow mostly classroom material. We don't necessarily need to do so and I thought that could be our addition. I was hoping only to supplement what was already there.

@moonman:

As you probably already know, one of PF's selling points is quality control. In doing so, I'm afraid we might lose the ability to screen off the not-so-good videos. Nothing is stopping you from uploading videos independently though.

Related to Create Video Tutorials: PF Library Expansion

1. What is the purpose of creating video tutorials for PF Library Expansion?

The purpose of creating video tutorials for PF Library Expansion is to provide visual and audio instructions on how to effectively use the library expansion feature. This can help users better understand how to access and utilize the expanded library, ultimately enhancing their experience with the product.

2. What kind of content should be included in the video tutorials?

The video tutorials for PF Library Expansion should include step-by-step instructions on how to access and use the expanded library, as well as tips and tricks for optimizing its features. It should also showcase different use cases and examples to help users understand the full potential of the expansion.

3. What tools or software are needed to create the video tutorials?

To create the video tutorials, you will need a screen recording software such as Camtasia or OBS, a microphone for recording audio, and a video editing software such as Adobe Premiere or iMovie. These tools will allow you to capture and edit the footage to create a high-quality tutorial.

4. How long should the video tutorials be?

The length of the video tutorials for PF Library Expansion should be long enough to cover all necessary information and instructions, but not too long that it becomes overwhelming for viewers. Aim for a duration of 5-10 minutes, as this is generally the optimal length for retaining viewers' attention and delivering information effectively.

5. How can I make the video tutorials engaging and easy to follow?

To make the video tutorials engaging and easy to follow, you can use visual aids such as on-screen annotations, callouts, and animations to highlight important points and make the tutorial more visually appealing. Additionally, using a clear and concise script, along with a friendly and enthusiastic tone, can also help keep viewers engaged and make the tutorial easy to follow.