View Milky Way in Oregon: Tips for Naked Eye Viewers

• Thread starter Smartoad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    milky way
In summary: If you are in the eastern US, you might want to try the top of the highest mountain peak near you. If you are in the western US, you might want to try the top of Mount Hood. If you are in the central US, you might want to try the back deck of your home. And if you are in the western US, you might want to try the top of Mount Whitney.
Smartoad
I live in Oregon on the coast, so not only do clouds get in the way, but so does light pollution (though I am sure light pollution is just about everywhere you go). Anyways, if there are any frequent viewers of the Milky Way through the naked eye out there, do you know of any places in Oregon that would make viewing the Milky Way easier?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I am not acquainted with Oregon (I'm in NY) but I suggest mountains away from the large cities.

pretty much anywhere east of the cascades...
pretty much nowhere near the coast...
i would suggest you might try the top of the highest coast mountain peak near you, and also suggest you might try a pair of 80mm objective binoculars.
where are you on the coast?

Step out on my back deck (central Maine) on any clear moonless night. Even without any dark-adaptation, the MW, the Great Rift, etc, are immediately apparent. Andromeda nebula is easy naked-eye, too.

I have spent a lot of time in light-polluted places in my work, but I am always so happy to be back home at night.

well, I live in coos bay, and we have some mountains near us, or what seem to be just realllly tall hills compared to the three sisters that you can see in Bend (a city) but i may be able to get as far up as I can sometime soon, I've heard that winter evenings are the best for this kind of thing, but this years winter is a La Nina winter, meaning a lot more storms and a lot more rain. So not only will getting up there be hard, seeing as I am only 15 and trying to get on a mountain at night, but a clear night will be abnormally hard. If any of you know of mount hood, do you know if it rests above the clouds? because if it does then I could just make the trek to the top of mount hood and staying there a top priority on my list of things to do before I'm at and hopefully do that.

In Coos Bay (my sister taught school there for 20+ yrs) you should not have any trouble getting way from lights. I would think your western horizon should be very good, after all there are very few lights in that direction. I think of the Milky Way as being a summer time view, mainly because here in Oregon that is when we get to see the stars. But if you get a clear night in the winter you should be able to see it nicely. Refer to a star map so you know where to look.

its very glad to know all of you here, i m chinese, but i do hope to go abroad for widern eyesight...
hope we can be good friends!

http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/index.php" [Broken]

That is a very good resource for finding the light pollution of areas around you. It covers the entire continental US.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the best time to view the Milky Way in Oregon?

The best time to view the Milky Way in Oregon is during the summer months, particularly from June to August. This is when the night sky is darkest and there is less light pollution, making it easier to see the Milky Way with the naked eye.

2. Where is the best place in Oregon to view the Milky Way?

The best place to view the Milky Way in Oregon is in areas with low light pollution, such as remote locations away from cities and towns. Some popular spots include Crater Lake National Park, Steens Mountain, and the Alvord Desert.

3. Do I need any special equipment to view the Milky Way in Oregon?

No, you do not need any special equipment to view the Milky Way in Oregon. It can be seen with the naked eye, but a pair of binoculars or a telescope can enhance the viewing experience by allowing you to see more details and fainter stars.

4. What is the best way to prepare for viewing the Milky Way in Oregon?

To prepare for viewing the Milky Way in Oregon, it is important to check the weather forecast and choose a clear, moonless night for optimal viewing. You should also dress warmly and bring a red light flashlight to preserve your night vision.

5. Can I take photos of the Milky Way in Oregon?

Yes, you can take photos of the Milky Way in Oregon with a camera that has manual settings and a tripod. To capture the best images, use a wide-angle lens, set a long exposure time, and adjust the ISO and aperture settings accordingly. You can also use a remote shutter release to minimize camera shake.